Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Color suggestions for adjacent rooms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color suggestions for adjacent rooms Sign In/Join 
posted
I am trying to pick out colors before I start to repaint. I am thinking about Malton for my great room/ breakfast room/ kitchen. Does anyone have comment on this color? Also, any suggestions for the dining room- furniture is cherry and I will be recovering chairs so I can go with anything. I cannot find any site that offers color combo suggestions using this color. thank you!!!

Posts: 284 | Registered: Jan 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Not knowing the brand, I was able to find it on a chip. As you see from their link, they suggest complimentary colors. That being said, I recommend you establish a room scheme from fabrics or rugs. Pull a color for the walls and scatter others around the room, spilling out to a degree, in adjoining public spaces. ALways view chips in the lighting conditions of your space viewing it around the room on a sample board over several days. Factor in flooring, furniture, trim, contrast, natural materials and the feel you wish to evoke. What may work in someone's home well may be totally off in another's.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/malton

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That color certainly seems to go quite well with the cherry furniture. In fact, it is a neutral shade which will go well with almost anything you prefer.
Proper lighting is key.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I am really surprised they suggested grays- it feels like a warm color to me. The other rooms have rust, golds and browns. I would like for the dining room to be more colorful but still coordinate- but I don't want beige, red or gray. thanks

Posts: 284 | Registered: Jan 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always thought of grey as a cool color, not warm.
However, being that you do not want beige, red or grey, but are looking for a color to go with your cherry furniture in your dining room, you might want to consider a warm cream color.
From there if you wish to bring in more color -- perhaps you could try a sage green or gold in accessories and fabrics.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post