Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Exterior paint colors for new home!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exterior paint colors for new home! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi everyone! I'm very excited that we are finally able to move and we are closing on our new home at the end of August. It's 3 sided brick and currently the accent colors are muted and basically match/ blend in with the brick. I would like to change the color scheme of all the paintable surfaces to something too add a little more interest to the house. I feel like it's very plain looking at the moment. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the traditional black shutters/ ivory trim. Attached is a picture of the house.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Lindsey! It's a beautiful, stately home.

If it were mine, I'd grab some samples of the fixed colors, e.g. the brick (unless you plan to paint it), a shingle and whatever other fixed items and/or choices you've already made.

Then, you can easily consider your accent colors, using paint chips or other samples. Sounds like a fun project -

Good luck in your new home!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
While you are considering your paint colors, in the meantime you can add lots of spot color with seasonal plants or annuals, especially near the entry.

As time and budget allow, you can plan more extensive landscaping projects to boost the curb appeal of your lovely new home. Congratulations.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lovely home....congrats! A shade of white will define the windows, door and columns as well as emphasize the roof peaks. Black shutters, white trim is a classic combo for a red brick house, but certainly not your only options. A navy or green could be considered for the shutters too. Take a photo of your home and using paint chips or construction paper, cut out shutters to lay atop the photo. In fact, it would help if you took a photo in bright sunlight plus a pic on an overcast day to view your cutout shutters on. This step would help you get a visual.

Your roof is gray...a neutral which is good. Drive around your area and observe similar homes that are red brick with gray roof. Note the accent colors that they teamed that appeal to you. BTW, the front door should be highly noticeable from the curb especially if it has an overhang. Once you find your shutter color, consider a contrasting, but complimentary color for the front door. Often, a golden yellow is favored with a red brick house with white trim and black shutters. It is warm and welcoming.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BTW, I second the suggestion to add dots of color throughout your landscaping to frame your handsome home. Also, that tall bush by the driveway is concealing a good bit of your home's facade. A dwarf flowering tree might be a better option, but allow for root growth so your sidewalk or driveway aren't damaged if you agree. A lamp post might be even better with flowers and or ornamental grasses around it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Lindsay:
I like your house as is but don't blame you for wanting to put a little "kick" to it.
I like your idea change except that I would probably make the shutters a rich taupe instead of black and then go with the ivory trim.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lindsey Dansak:
Hi everyone! I'm very excited that we are finally able to move and we are closing on our new home at the end of August. It's 3 sided brick and currently the accent colors are muted and basically match/ blend in with the brick. I would like to change the color scheme of all the paintable surfaces to something too add a little more interest to the house. I feel like it's very plain looking at the moment. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the traditional black shutters/ ivory trim. Attached is a picture of the house.

Hi,

Your home looks great. You can just add some shades of some light colours, that is more than enough i think..

Thank you

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not going to be of any help because I love the way your house looks in the pic.The colors look perfect to me.Maybe a shiny brick red front door? Personally I think landscaping is what you need.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post