Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Large sage green sofa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large sage green sofa Sign In/Join 
posted
I am in need of what paint color for my living room. It has a cathedral ceiling. I have a open floor plan. Should the dining/kitchen be a different color?

main portion

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Painting the areas in different colors is a personal preference. I suggest that you post this in the "General Decorating" category. There is more " traffic" there Smile

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I see you have samples on the wall. Where did you draw those color options from? Typically scheme inspiration is pulled from a print. The print could come from a rug, window treatment, an occasional chair, pillows, tile work or papers to name a few. If no print exists, introduce one that has a small degree of the sage from your sofa, plus colors you like. Match one that best unifies your space, acts as a complimentary and contrasting backdrop to your furnishings, flooring and trim, best works in your lighting conditions and evokes the feel you seek. Keep in mind that hue value can vary as long as you are in the family of the wall color as pulled from your source.

Greens are neutrals and your sofa green is a warm green. Colors to consider, weighing the important factors I mentioned could be a brown, a navy, a charcoal, a blue with purple undertones, a rusty hue, a plum to name a few. Your introduced print may surprise you in terms of the colors the designer teamed with your sage. If it appeals to your design esthetic both in pattern style and pallet, you are well on your way for the open concept floor plan as well as adjoining public spaces. You need not carry all the colors throughout nor maintain the color predominance or hue value.

Painting a test board and moving it about the open space will better help you to see how natural and artificial light impacts it.

You have numerous options in this open space in terms of color breaks on the walls. One way is to use an architectural turn or break in which to change color or simply hue value from one chip. An example of an architectural break is featured in your pic where the ledge juts out. If you change the color from the living space to the kitchen area, be sure to keep within your public scheme palette or go neutral. Another option is to paint the kitchen area the sage of your sofa to maintain flow IF the all important factors allow this option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18667 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post