Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Living room color choice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living room color choice Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello,

We just got a new home and we need advice on choosing a color palette. Its an open concept living room with a darkish almost greyish undertone hardwood, white walls; kitchen has white cabinets and grey, black and white tons in the backsplash. See pictures:
http://i19.photobucket.com/alb...rnshah/IMG_0356.jpeg

http://i19.photobucket.com/alb...rnshah/IMG_0954.jpeg

We are going for a more modern/contemporary theme.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome and congrats on your new home. You have a neutral canvas which will afford you a vast array of colors and hue values from which to consider. Use new or existing fabrics to serve as inspiration scattering the colors throughout you open public spaces to some degree to unify them. Match chips and view them under the lighting conditions of your spaces. The printed fabrics on windows, upholstered furniture and rugs will establish your public space scheme. The prints used will also help evoke the feel you desire. Keep contrast to furnishings in mind when selecting your wall color. If your lighting is adequate, a shade of gray as pulled from the backsplash will maintain a neutral backdrop allowing you many accent options. Cues to your color preferences is apparent from your wardrobe. Start a storyboard of fabric swatches (or pics of fabrics and stain), paint chips, room layouts, carpet fibers, furniture styles which will help you visually and as you progress. Take things slowly paying attention to details, room balance, flow, lighting, textures, etc.

Posts: 18440 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes! My favorite colors -- black/white/grey.
So wonderful to work with.
Froo gave you a wonderful starting point.
I will just concentrate on wall color.
My family room has butterscotch walls (BM Wheatfield). Another neat color is Oklahoma Wheat.
Actually, you can go any way you like with that free palate.
That room looks really neat. Have fun choosing.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think its necessary to paint the room? Im sort of hoping I can cheap out on the paint job if white will look good

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White always looks good and that way you have free reign on just what other color or colors you wish to incorporate into the room via area rug, art work, accessories. It could really become just a monochromatic room with black/grey/white -- how simply smashing is that!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post