Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  farrow & ball
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farrow & ball Sign In/Join 
posted
We have seen articles on Farrow & Ball paints and wondered if anyone on this board has ever used them? Their colors are supposed to remain true longer than other paints. They also have slightly different tints.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several of the designers at my firm, including myself spec Farrow and Ball paints on a regular basis. The coverage is great and the colors are soft and diffused.Expensive but worth it if you plan on being in your home for a while.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles D, since you are familiar with Farrow & Ball, I'd like your opinion on finishes etc. I read about this brand in various magazines and recently an article in the Wall Street praised the way that this paints looks on walls. I've always used BM off whites and I'm looking for a light color for the walls of a room that doesn't have much light. It's our old family room which opens up to a great room.

I'm so tired of Navajo White but I want a warm white color. I do want to avoid any gray or blue in the white that I choose. Will Farrow & Ball's Dimity be a good choice? What about finishes? The room is used often and we have large dogs so the paint will have to be able to be cleaned. Modern Emulsion seems to be the best choice. Any advice you might offer is appreciated.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dimity # 2008 is a rich warm white. There is a drop of red which gives the slightest peach/pink tone but it generally doesn't show up in rooms with more difussed light. It just shows up warm. Walls with direct sun can show the peach undertone. Farrow and Ball suggests pairing Dimity with # 2005 all white, but that can emphasize the undertones so I prefer #2003 pointing, it's less of a contrast.

As far as finishes go, most of my clients have kids so I like Modern Emulsion which is washable. I just tell my clients to let the paint "rest" for at least a month before washing it.Water Based eggshell for the trim.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post