Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Help!! Trying to pick a paint color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!! Trying to pick a paint color Sign In/Join 
posted
SO.. I know absolutely nothing about picking paint colors but my townhouse desperately needs to be painted. The problem is, the entire downstairs is basically all one room. The living room walls run into the dining room which runs around into the kitchen and then around up the stairs. So I guess the stairs and upstairs hallway would have to be the same color also. My couches are bright red, and other furniture is an espresso color. The fridge, stove and dishwasher are black. All of the trim in the house is white. My foyer is green venetian plaster so it would have to match that also. Should I just stick with a boring beige/tan, or would a little color be ok? Help!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do your stairs run along side a wall? My first thought was using a taupe color to act as a backdrop - then add color with drapery, art, accessories, rugs, etc.

If your walls ran up the side of a wall you could paint that wall an accent color, or for that matter, you could paint another wall as an accent wall. Can you post any pictures of your layout as that usually helps a lot!

Posts: 777 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I drew this.. Its not drawn to scale by any means but you can get the idea! The wall continues in the small area between the kitchen cabinets and the ceiling. You can see the stairs run behind the fireplace, but that wall connects to the wall in the living room and under the counter that separates the kitchen, so there isn't really a good place to change paint colors.

posted Hide Post
My vision is to have cream colored (or even ivory) walls throughout with the furniture's espresso color on one focus wall as a statement wall (maybe just a dab lighter).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm I had never even thought of doing a wall that dark! I like that idea, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!