Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  RED Dining Room, White Bookcase Paint Color Advice needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RED Dining Room, White Bookcase Paint Color Advice needed. Sign In/Join 
posted
So I was dead set on having a red dining room. I was going for a color I had in the past 'Cajun Spice' but it's discontinued and I ended up a little too primary red. I plan to go a little darker if I keep the red.
Then I had white bookcases installed and decided to leave the back open. My dilemma is that I just don't love the way it looks. And I haven't had an easy time decorating. I either want to:

1) paint the inside back of bookcase wall white
2) have the bookcase refinished with a solid backing instead of opening to wall
3) paint entire room a neutral color and leave red behind bookcase
4) something I haven't thought of

Try to ignore the cluttered shelves, we haven't used this room yet because of the poor lighting, we have a better solution on order and electrician on standby.

The farm table is a staple, the chairs are temporary, awaiting everything else to fall into place.

There is another bookcase mirroring this one, a solid wall with a doorway that has since been cased in White trim and then the wall with two windows. I will upload pics of those angles if I can.

Please give me your opinions about how to change this room color to achieve a more pleasing atmosphere. I am partial to keeping red, but just don't know how to make it work. Thanks for any advice!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
atl view 1

posted Hide Post
I don't agree with you. I like it just the way it is.
Sometimes we have a tendency to over-think things or maybe are too close to our subject to be objective.
Put a nice red vase or something on the table and don't sweat the smalls.
The room looks fine.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arepo, I'm with you. I studied the pix hard to find something wrong and came up with nothing. My only suggestion would be to see if Lowe's, HD, or a local paint store has the formula for Cajun Red if you want to slap a coat of that color over the existing red. I really like that dark blue on the hall(?) wall visible in one of the pix.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your comments. I am going nuts here. I tried to get the cajun spice to match and no luck, I will def be trying a coat of something soon, just the slightest bit deeper red.

I LOVE the blue Entry, go look at my other post "URGENT, the painter is HERE" for THAT dilemma, I am about to give the green light to paint over it. Frown

posted Hide Post
An updated pic of the doorway after the moulding.

posted Hide Post
Lookin' good!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks very good!

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I like it the way it is also. You could always paint the inside of the bookcase sometime in the future for a different look without painting the whole room. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post