Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  URGENT! The painter is HERE!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

URGENT! The painter is HERE!!! Sign In/Join 
posted
Don't know how else to explain it, but my living room and entry meet at the doorway. The wall is continuous and does not gave a casing. Take a look at photo.

How do I approach this?
Should both rooms be the same color?
Or is there a way to case the doorway around the weird column separator? Or should I have those torn out? I hate columns but everyone who comes in compliments me on them, and Realtor gushed about them when we first looked at house. Blech.

The navy in Entry is newly painted and the Painter is here today painting the living room Benjamin Moore Popcorn Kernel. Should I have him paint over the Navy?...

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Moore Popcorn Kernel

posted Hide Post
Alt View

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I would paint over the navy.
For what it's worth.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO!!!! Don't sacrifice the blue. Can't you just paint the blue behind the columns? If that doesn't solve the problem, you can always paint the whole foyer. But I LOVE that blue.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I think it looks fine as is. If it bothers you down the line, consider carrying the wide white trim up and around the passageway to separate the colors. Frankly tho, I think it is fine. BTW, I love the architectural detail of the columns, but suspect others would suggest you remove them to open up the passageway. I feel they add to the character of your home and the white adds crispness against the rich navy.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If where the two colors meet bothers you, could you put a narrow molding on the living room side of the wall by your columns? (mimicking the molding on your ceiling, though very narrow...maybe less than an inch.) Up and around the doorway on the living room side....painted white like the columns....would give a little separation to your two colors of paint. I can see it, but hard to explain. I also like the blue.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your suggestions! I am going to keep the blue and see if it still bothers me. If so, I am going to try the moulding to separate the rooms. THANKS AGAIN! I LOVE the blue too!!!

posted Hide Post
Those columns serve as somewhat of a divider so I wouldn't worry one wee bit. If you love the blue, by all means, stick with the blue.
The popcorn kernel is bright and cheerful and will make a bigger statement after walking in from the more demure blue entrance.

Posts: 1551 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
nola, Glad you did what you wanted!
Sometimes we just need others to give us the push to do so. You are so right that it can always be changed later if anything seems like a better option. That is the Beauty of paint!

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post