Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Paint schemes in house - all same tones?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint schemes in house - all same tones? Sign In/Join 
posted
When painting your house, do you keep the tones/hues all the same in each room? Meaning, going from room to room all the paint colors are same intensity.

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
No. Actually I prefer variances of hue vales from room to room. The things that are important when determining wall colors are...
The room's natural and artifical lighting conditions.

Your furnishings...the wall color should act as complimentary backdrop and also provide a degree of contrast to the room's furnishings.

The feel you seek...example...tranquil, exotic, dramatic, etc.

A degree of depth and dimension should be present in a space. This can be achieved via a two to four color palette of mixed values or even using variences of one color. If every room is the same hue value things can become lost or even boring. The exception could be in the case of spaces lacking sufficient light.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Froo said!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello Christyinco,

To create a sense of harmony from room to room you need to focus on a good color flow, a balanced color scheme that seamlessly connects one space to the next.

I agree with the advice Froo Froo gave you. Using lighter and darker hues of the same color through out your home whether it is the dominant shade or an accent, the rooms will transition nicely. To also create continuity find paint colors with similar undertones. If you love yellow with orange undertones, then look for reds with orange undertones.

Remember color does not just come from the walls. It is present in the furniture, accessories, artwork, etc. Decide between five and seven different shades and interchange them as the dominant, secondary, and accent colors in each room.

The colors that surround us impact our moods and lifestyles. So choose wisely but have fun!

Hope this advice helps,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KBTrendsMag,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using all the same tones throughout a home sounds like a big mistake to me.Color is all perception, so time of day, amount of light, and the intensity of that light will tend to effect how a color appears. Even using the same color throughout wouldn't look the same in a north facing room vs. a south facing room.

I like picking the color of each room after I have commited to a rug, or a building material, then contast or blend the wall color according to taste.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I heard once about choosing a paint strip then selecting off that strip - up or down in lightness or darkness. Anyway, I painted two rooms in my house before I moved in and am now living with that decision. I always tend toward neutral colors, but just need the "right" one to start. The first room I'm actually working with now is my master bedroom (found bedding I love), of which I found Manchester Tan (BM) and Mirage Gray (BM) to work well, but, of course, don't go well with my two prior painted rooms. So, will probably have to repaint them. Unfortunately, they are both tan neutral tones that don't go with the same undertones as Manchester Tan - which I love, BTW.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. The next color down from Manchester Tan has a lot of green in it and is dark. My house doesn't get a tone of natural light so I have to be very careful. I'm also working with a large fireplace in the great room that is Moss Rock and has shades of gray, creams, oranges, greens.

The bedding I'm working off of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: christyinco,

posted Hide Post
Manchester Tan

posted Hide Post
Gray Mirage

posted Hide Post
Or Flowering Herb (BM)