Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  Christmas Shopping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Shopping Sign In/Join 
posted
How do all organize gift giving. I keep a list of everything I get everyone!

Posts: 1288 | Registered: Dec 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jake's mom
posted Hide Post
I start christmas shopping early, I have to keep a list of what I bought and who bought for. Then I have to remember where I put it!

Posts: 653 | Location: Davie, Florida, USA | Registered: Sep 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Family mutually agreed last year to cut back, so not as much to do this year.

I have fond memories of my late Mom finding some stuff after the holidays that she had hidden. I have done it a little myself. Mostly stocking stuffers that I hid from the grandsons.

Wish I was more organized.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6274 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family pretty much does gift certificates because we're so spread out. I do miss the days of shopping for the little ones, wrapping and hiding things but it doesn't make sense nowadays to do all that and then have to spend as much as the gift itself costs to send it across country. My daughter and youngest son are always doing home projects so they usually get gift certificates to HD or someplace like that, my eldest son and his wife rarely get to go out (he's a preacher, she's a school teacher so not a lot of extra money) so they usually get a gift certificate for "date night".

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a notebook where I record what I buy and where I've stored it. I've been using the same notebook for years. It also has the ages of all of the nieces and nephews and sizes for family members. If I ever lost the notebook, I would be devastated, so it's always stored with my cookbooks.

I start shopping at the after-Christmas sales and keep my eyes open for bargains throughout the year. I'm usually finished shopping by Thanksgiving so I use that weekend to wrap and ship all of the gifts as I don't live near the majority of my family.

Posts: 1882 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love all you organized types, but if I bought something well in advance, my kids would have probably purchased like items on their own before the holidays, as they have good incomes to spend thru the year and are fussy about clothes, household goods that come into their home. It sure is a pain, so I don't buy much and pay the higher prices Roll Eyes We don't buy for nieces/nephews as they are all adults and doing well. We buy only for our own kids and grands.

Posts: 3114 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Just told DH at dinner tonight that I wasn't buying gifts this year. We do a donation to a charity with one kid, and one and his family don't appreciate anything they get, and the others have everything they want or need!!! I get like this occasionally. Other years I'm game to shop.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6575 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up years ago trying to figure out what to buy friends and family for Christmas presents, so this is what I do. So starting from the first Christmass that they are old enough to understand Christmass, I give each of them, either an orinament for their future tree that somhow simbolices (sp?) that year(ie, the year that we went to the moon, there was an orinment of Santa sitting on a rocket)or something else that they will need to decorate a tree when they have a home of their own. This year they will all get some Waterford Tree Toppers that I bought a few years ago when they were on sale, along with a tree stand.In addition, I give each of my grandchildren a gift cirtificate to their favort store so they can get what they want.If I am really really stumped about what to give someone, I give them an "I owe you" certificate for something like, cleaning their house, babysitting for x number of nights, ect. Things that I know they would really like.
If all of that is not something that you would like to do, I give gift certificate to a store that I know they like to shop in in an amount that I would otherwise spend on their gift.
HTH,
Mary

Posts: 1867 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is easy to get caught up in the christmas shopping mess. Last year I got into such a state I could't wait until it was over I always start early but this year it will be some gifts to open and others gift cards. To much to do and at the end of the season I look it!

Posts: 1288 | Registered: Dec 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kpoohbare
posted Hide Post
I love Christmas shopping...as long as I can start in August & have unlimited funding!! lmao like that would ever happen!

Seriously, I do try to start with grabbing up a few larger gifts for the main people (kids/grands/spouses) in Sept. Then I can work on the smaller things & the other family gifts later. This year, its gonna be a lot of food gifts for most of the not so close family & friends. And the gifts are gonna be fewer for everyone, as we just dont have the funding we had last year.

I do start a list of everyone I am going to buy for at the start of the holiday shopping, then I mark off as I purchase the gifts, the ones who receive more than one gift, I just write in what gifts I have already purchased. On the packages/boxes, I write who it goes to & the amount of batteries it takes, that way I dont have to open the boxes to find out later on. My daughter & I get together over a weekend & wrap all the gifts (adding in the batteries needed to the packages) We have a lot of fun doin it. Then Hubby & I wrap hers & Her & Hubby do mine.
I dont usually do much as far as the cooking for the other Holidays, we usually go to other places or its just me & Hubby so just do somethin small. But Christmas is my time of year to try all the recipes I have bookmarked thru the year to try... My family becomes my guinea pigs! lmao Most recipes I try get kept, but some get threw out after one bite. I have become pretty familiar with the types of dishes they will & wont like now.
I also make a Christmas card list early too, I have lots more people on it than on the gift list, so I really need to start it early so I can get all the addresses updated, etc. & have them ready to go out Dec 1. & also do all my Annual Christmas Party invites & get them out Dec 1. Beginning the last week of Nov, my life becomes a world of chaos!! lol So getting done anything I can early, is a blessing in my opinion!! lol

***** May Love & Laughter Lead Your Way *****

Posts: 1626 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jul 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago we decided to draw names with the adults in my family, so I have hardly anything to buy for anymore. Just that gift and then for my 2 youngest nephews who are 6 and 8. Maybe small gifts for a couple co-workers or if we do a name draw there. That's it. Not much to organize! Smile

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
What I do is make a list of a couple ideas for each of our kids and grandkids. Then I give the list to my husband who loves to shop. About a week before Christmas I ask him what he decided to buy, and he gives me the stack of gifts, and I wrap them. It is SUPER easy!

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
One year at Target, in the Christmas section, I found big bins that were red with green lids (the same size as the other containers with different colors but these were 1/2 off!!!). I use one to put in all the presents I acquire all year long. So at least for several years I haven't lost anything!!!! I just look in the Christmas box. Sometimes the stuff in there becomes birthday gifts.... Wave

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8697 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went for a shopping last weekend . I bought Christmas goodies , Short Winter Dresses for my sister, she loves it .Christmas Red carpet Gowns for my elder sister .

Posts: 1 | Location: Los angeles | Registered: Dec 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Throughout the year, when someone mentions something wanted, needed, wished...I write it down in my pocket calendar.

About half my shopping this year has been online.

But then again...I finally have two grandchildren! Of course they are babies...in a couple of years it is going to be so much fun!!!

Posts: 17029 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Nancy, I have a gift basket. It is a large wicker hamper in one of the spare bedrooms. If the gift doesn't fit in the hamper it goes in the closet in that room.

I will frequently use the gift stash for gift exchanges, birthday or unexpected giftings.

For family - now that the Grands are older the StepD's by their gifts and we pay them. I do wrap them when we come to celebrate the holidays. Whatever weekend that happens to be. For the older - we buy a gift card for a good restaurant and I do a basket that I mentioned on another thread.

DH is the problem - he wants for nothing and has no idea what he would like. If anyone can throw a wet blanket on a gift I'm all excited about - it's him!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3495 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
We have a huge family and thus have NEVER bought for anyone outside of immediate family. Example when kids were little we bought for them, each other and grandparents.

For a few years, just the first 10 of our marriage we also got gifts for my SIL and BIL (her hubby) but only because we spent Christmas Eve together.

Now since we are raising the grandkids we STILL are assembling toys on Christmas Eve.. sigh.. we buy for them, DS and EX-DIL. (shes always here anyway)DD, SIL and other gramma.

Otherwise it would just get silly.

I have the kids prepare their Santa letters, which I spirit away, and year round I talk to the rest of the fam about things they would like.

Today I did my Amazon shopping, tomorrow I will do all my store shopping. Thats the end of it. I of course have a list and a bunch of standbys. EX if you are a sentient being in this house on Christmas.. you get socks.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1559 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes-I have.I always start early. Zambia by G&M

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
well you couldn't have chosen a better date to post, lol...

i should do the list thing cause the tub per family thing gets me in trouble...(out of sight, out of mind) found a bunch of stocking stuffers hanging in my closet...

Posts: 8528 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can relate to Jakes Mom. We always get grandchildren a Tree ornament and got great deals in Florida of Jan. 2012. We give them money, and they always want Pyjama's and then we get them something else around $20.00. Lego's, barbie clothes or for older girl desk organizers. They love the money, and have everyting they need. Hockey is well under way so don't need equip. and ball is long way off. As long as they get the PJ's ****, and a gift to open they are happy.
I usually do a theme gift for my daughter and hubby and my son and his wife. Last year it was "PAPER" they got envelopes, note paper, toilet paper, paper towels, coffee filters, writing paper, stamps, post-it-notes, etc. This year I am doing "PLASTIC" Garbage bags of all sizes, zip bags, rubbermaid containers, paper sheet protectors, and my list is growing. We have done a few years of grocery items, and thought we would try something different. "Wood" items will be one year
Have to do a lot of thinking, but it is fun looking. Both families have all they need so what else to do.
Canada

Posts: 90 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We now draw names with the adults - so much easier and less expensive! It was getting so that all we were doing was exchanging gift cards, anyway. So I only have to buy that one gift and then one each for the youngest nephews.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We give money gifts to our adult children and purchase gifts for the Angel Tree at church. I have cut back a lot - 1 gift per person for family members. It was a difficult thing to wrap my mind around at first but boy am I glad I did!

Posts: 344 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking on behalf of Men here... organisation doesn't come in to it at all!

Just get stuff and if you forget anyone they can have some cash Smile

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
KeepYouInStitches, I don't write them down, but do have an excellent memory. My husband has asked how I remember all the things said. He doesn't write down ANYTHING. We have a running joke. My first Christmas gifts from him were the following: computer paper & socks. LOL As I read this aloud, he sat in his chair and roared with laughter. He wants me to include that he gave me jewelry a few months later.Smile Take a guess what kind. Of course, he forgot that item and went straight to the other BIGGER items. lol
This year, he's getting a larger shed for Christmas. More area to store his man toys. He keeps telling me it's for the boat. Guess what he's angling for his birthday/other holidays. Smile

Posts: 5155 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post