Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  decorations, plans and traditions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

decorations, plans and traditions Sign In/Join 
posted
I would love to hear what everyone is doing this year.

Tree next weekend.

Today I have been washing my holiday dishes. Just everyday, nothing fancy. They do help me get in the mood for getting ready.

The grandsons last weekend asked me about the red mugs.

Miss some of the traditions from when I was young, but life goes on and changes. Making new ones now.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6320 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that we're in FL for the holidays we are doing holidays much different, especially since we have no family visiting. Put the tree up yesterday and did outdoor lights as well. Had to have a friend help us with the lights on the palm tree this year- swear it grew two feet this past year. I miss alot of my decorations and Spode from up North, but storage in home prevents me from bringing it down here. I'm re-evaluating my holiday baking as DH was diagnosed as diabetic this year with all its complications and he needs to be careful what he eats.
So our holidays are not the same as they used to be, but we like to think we are building new memories and traditions in a new location with alot of our friends here who are in the same boat as we are.

Posts: 3140 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas is so different in Florida. I have been here a long time, but do miss the snow on Christmas. Stringing lights on palm trees may make some people laugh, but it is pretty.
Sometimes we go to the beach on Christmas and have a BBQ.
Mamaspoon I see you live in SW Florida, we go to Sanibel Island, near Ft Myers a lot. I love the beach's on the west coast of Florida.

Posts: 306 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When HGTV had Christmas specials, they would show some decorations done in pastels and beach themes. I thought they were very pretty.

We rarely have a white Christmas. We have some snow during the winter.

During the big one as Archie Bunker called it, my Mom and friend astounded the neighbors by putting Bon Ami on the windows. My Dad was stationed in CA then, and Mom was there with him for a little while. Thanks for letting me take a trip down memory lane. I was not born then, but do remember my Mom telling the story. They also didn't have money for ornaments, so they dyed cotton balls with food coloring.

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We have gotten back to "old style" Christmases. Without a lot of "stuff" -- greens on the mantles, wreath on the door, the advent wreath, the tree, the nativity set and poinsettias around for color.

I like these simpler decorations and do not miss the marathon of decorating that we used to do this time of the year!

It's also easier to get rid of -- tree for the dump, greens in the trash and a few boxes of decorations to take downstairs.

Martha

Posts: 6132 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Do wreaths get placed on the outside of the stormdoor, or on the inside door? Right now, there's very little room to put it on the inside.

When choosing our storm door, we chose the full glass so there wouldn't be the horizontal line in the middle of our door.

We have a new tradition after building our deck windows.....The deck windows get the deocr. We get to enjoy it more this way. Greenery is OFF the bannister, so walking up the stairs is not hindered by greenery...I used to wrap it around the bannister, much to my husband's chagrin.

We get ONE new ornament/decoration for our home each year. This year....it's the deck star. We also purchased a living rosemary tree topiary for our kitchen...which I'm thrilled with for décor & for cooking!

Posts: 5223 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to put my front door wreath on the storm door since not enough room between the doors. Overhang partially protects it.

I use 4 large clear suction cups. I do make sure any ornaments/decorations/bows are secured very well. Have chased a wayward bow before that the wind was blowing faster than I could go.

I bet your deck is very festive all decorated.

I have been know to put wreaths or other decorations on the inside of doors also. Obviously, so we can enjoy them.

I don't have a stairway or mantel to decorate. I have very little room in the kitchen either. I have brought out the Winter Holly Corelle dishes. Have had them many years and really do enjoy using them every year.

Strings

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
"Have chased a wayward bow before that the wind was blowing faster than I could go" LOL I've done this, too. This is why I asked the question. There's not much of an overhang for us.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I once loosened the storm door screws just a bit and used filament or thin wire to hang my wreath on the outside. Optionally, a magnetic hook can be placed on the top of the storm door's frame. The wreath can be attached via ribbon or cording from the hook.

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I found a "thin" wreath to put up. The larger wreath is on the back deck hung up as a chandelier. When the winter blast hit, it has been frosted in white and quite beautiful! Nature has so much beauty on its own. Smile

My dh commented on our lights being reduced on our tree this year. It's much simpler and STILL gorgeous! He's been asking about the packages under the tree. lol I told him they were decorations-nothing is in the boxes. I COULD take pics of the remodeling we've done throughout this past year, THOSE are our gifts that we get to enjoy everyday.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, we have been on the go for the past month and I was sick also so decorating and Christmas shopping has gone by the wayside.

My hands and wrist has been so messed up I was afraid to put up my big tree with all my ornaments, so last night I finally finished our Charlie Brown tree. It is a 4 ft (I have it on a crate with the tree skirt hiding it) white tree I usually put up in my office. I didn't take out all the Christmas stuff so I had to go out and buy lights for it - FYI - Walmart has multi color lights with white cord. It primarily has red balls, gold balls (glass and plastic) along with some silver pears and gold pomegranets. Didn't see the stockings, so no stockings.

We will be leaving Saturday morning and won't be home until next Saturday evening. Then we will leave again on Thursday for Christmas with the steps and won't be back until Sunday or Monday. Not much reason to put a lot of effort.

We did put up most of our outside decorations - front and side only not back deck.

Perhaps we won't over schedule next year and I'll think about my wrist surgery before the 2nd week of December. Wink

DS and her husband will be coming over Christmas Eve and then we will have brunch at her house on Christmas day. Don't know when nephew and his family will be over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3572 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
DH and I will be home alone Christmas Day...unless DS is off and not filling in for someone with kids...so I'll expect him to drop by for a bite to eat. Wink

Since my home is not the gathering point, I don't do much any more at all.

I have a skinny 3-foot tall tabletop tree that I drop into a garbage bag every year - decorations and all. It takes me 5 minutes tops to de-bag it and set it up. Pre-lit so I just plug it in.

I do like to hang the stockings and have yet to do that.

A few gifts are wrapped and set around the tree table.

We go to stepson's on the 23rd to spend the night and will leave the 24th after the meal and gift exchange with his family and DILs family. DH and I save our gifts to each other until Christmas Day.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We did put up a tree this year...first time in 6 plus years as we were doing the snow bird thing for awhile. I found a 'Himalayan fir' that has a more natural artificial green color...ha! It is pre lit and has a few 'pine cones'. I added some 'cardinals' and called it 'good'.

My other decos are basically a few splashes of red in candles/placemats and some silk poinsettias in various shades.

Posts: 2890 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a few traditions that our family does!

We always go out as a family to cut down our christmas tree, which is definitely an adventure. While there, we take our family photo for our Christmas cards from Shutterfly.

On Christmas day, I send the kids out to the movies to get them out of the house with all the cooking going on. No complaints for anyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: klsteward,

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be hanging these little guys all over my tree.

http://www.a2zgiftsandcollecti...esrank&searchSize=12

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always get the family together over Easter time

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post