Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  Next holiday you will celebrate?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next holiday you will celebrate? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
Valentine's Day...I'll buy candy for sure Smile

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Valentine's Day, although it's no biggie for us. We just have a nice dinner and MAYBE a box of candy. We will all celebrate my mom's 70th birthday, January 18.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll probably put some more red and heart stuff out around the house. My DH will probably give me a dozen red roses, I'll give him some high quality chocolate, exchange cards and I will fix a nice dinner. That would be the extent of celebrating Valentines Day in our house. No friends or family required.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mamaspoon,

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Probably Valentine's I'll get the kids candy, maybe and a card.

Its kind of a mixed up time for us because our wedding anniversary, my birthday and V day are on 3 successive weeks.. I'm happy with ONE celebration.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
In my Christmas celebration, I include "white" to go into the New Year's decor. It doesn't stay up very long, couple of weeks or so. I have our collected Valentine's cards in a metal heart shaped container, silk red flowers until the real ones arrive.(no need to hint-it's just something I know my hub will do) The candles are already on the table. The sidetable cover matches the table runner and will be changed towards the end February. And, I switched out the winter wreath with the heartshaped wreath. It looks like it is for spring/summer but I like how it can stay up until next fall.

Posts: 5043 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put up the valentine's wreath. I'll send the kids some candy and cookies. At home the two of us will have a nice dinner.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the Super Bowl and the Daytona 500 count? Big Grin

We will spend Super Bowl Sunday with MIL to celebrate her 91st birthday - her choice! And the only reason DH and I are excited about Valentine's Day is that it means that the Daytona 500 will be 10 days later! Smile

PS. Of course, DH and I will celebrate Valentine's Day with a special dinner but, truthfully, we're a whole lot more excited about the start of a new Nascar season than an occasion that has become so commercialized throughout the last 20 years to help the bottom line of florists, card companies, restaurants and retail stores. JMHO

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
We don't do much for valentines day. It feels forced to me, and I'm just not into it. I will send cards to my grandchildren though.

So my next holiday will be Easter. It's early this year.

Posts: 7074 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No holiday plans for foreseeable future. Valentines is low key with us. Easter will find us on the road traveling back to MI. So Memorial Day will be our next celebration if we are still living on the lake.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yup, Easter and then Memorial Day. When is Easter this year?

Posts: 6719 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Shrove Tuesday (or Mardi Gras as some call it) -- otherwise known as "Pancake Day" -- we always eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday before Lent begins the next day on Ash Wednesday.

I'm not sure if you'd call it a holiday or not, but it is a "special" day and isn't that what holidays are -- special?

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next official holiday we will celebrate is Easter, however life is so precious, I try to celebrate something no matter how small everyday.

Posts: 137 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: Nov 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
We will celebrate St.Patrick's Day this month on the 17th. By wearing green & making a green dessert or green smoothie! Kiss me I'm Irish!

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seashell:
Next official holiday we will celebrate is Easter, however life is so precious, I try to celebrate something no matter how small everyday.

I like that, Seashell Smile

posted Hide Post
If I had posted a week or so ago, could have said Thanksgiving.

Well, now it is on to Christmas.

In some ways lament that merchants start so early. Head carols on the radio the Sat. before Halloween. Dh changed the station. A little too early imho. I won't mind them now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6167 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Valentines Day will be here before we know it.

May not put away the red mugs so can use them for Valentines, but then again have some from the $ store foe that Feb. holiday.

Really should start on some Valentine place mats and some St. Patrick's Day ones too.

Love making a cake with the heart-shaped pans. What do you do for Valentine's?

Strings

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I've already started bringing out our Valentines decorations.

posted Hide Post
This post makes me chuckle. For the past few months I have been saying to my friends that all the "happy holidays" come too close together - Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - then we go for a long stretch through the gloomy winter without another really "happy holiday". Valentine's Day doesn't do it for me. Too Hallmarky. Easter is bitter sweet. I've been talking about making up my own "happy holiday" in the dead of the cold like in February/March for this reason. Have a huge party. No idea what to call it but I'm thinking about it - lol! Thankfully though, as someone else said, I do make a point of being grateful everyday. Nevertheless I do find the gloom and darkness of winter here on the depressing side. Grateful to be alive but the gloom can do a number on me!

Posts: 909 | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Many stores have the Valentines AND the St.Patricks Day merchandise out.

We have a few birthdays scattered within the holidays, so several celebrations to enjoy here.

Can't imagine why we haven't heard of people celebrating the "football season". Is it the freezing temperatures or what? Once we thaw out of this deep freeze, we may have something to celebrate.

posted Hide Post
Sherrywood, why not a winter survival party?

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Our anniversary, my birthday and valentine's day fall on 3 successive weeks.

We usually try to go out for 1 celebratory dinner between Jan 31 and Feb 14..

The kids take cards to school, but we don't pay a lot of attention to any of them.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Can't believe I started this post over a year ago...whew!!!!!! Lots of interesting posts through out the year!

Since I started this, we have moved into our new house and gee, what a stressful venture! I hurt my hip deep in the muscle, have had a couple stubborn infections...but I'm going to have a GOOD 2014, no matter what...lol!

Our ann'y is right around Val Day and hubby always takes us somewhere very nice and I usually buy some extra nice chocolates for us; however, we still have a lot of specialty candy from Christmas!

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sherrywood:
This post makes me chuckle. For the past few months I have been saying to my friends that all the "happy holidays" come too close together - Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - then we go for a long stretch through the gloomy winter without another really "happy holiday". Valentine's Day doesn't do it for me. Too Hallmarky. Easter is bitter sweet. I've been talking about making up my own "happy holiday" in the dead of the cold like in February/March for this reason. Have a huge party. No idea what to call it but I'm thinking about it - lol! Thankfully though, as someone else said, I do make a point of being grateful everyday. Nevertheless I do find the gloom and darkness of winter here on the depressing side. Grateful to be alive but the gloom can do a number on me!

Sherrywood, I get the glooms even here in FL!!! NE FL can be rainy/cold and more depressing that I would have thought.

I like your idea of having a huge party...would be a blast. You could call it "BRING WHAT U LUV" party...you could provide a hot soup, a salad and some rolls and let others fill in around it!!!! Keep it all casual with paper/plastic ware and lots of wine...let us know when it is...LOL!!!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
Sherwood, think that is a great idea to celebrate a happy holiday-----just because! Let us know what you do.

Stores were putting out Valentines stuff before Christmas was over.

CJO, congratulations on the new home. Sorry you have had to deal with some health issues. Do hope that 2014 is better for you.

Strings

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Thank you Strings...I appreciate you (((hugs)))!

posted Hide Post
Put VD wreath up. Bought some conversation heart candy and have eaten a lot of it. I am bad. Managed to keep out of the Valentine M and Ms. Don't know how long that will last.

Wish I gotten some Valentine's placemats made.

Sure there was more activity here to get the Benghazi post to the bottom or next page.

Strings

posted Hide Post
Well the next one I will be celebrating is 4th of July. I'm thinking about throwing a bbq for friends and trying out some cute pinterest ideas.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun, simpletruth Wink

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
So many opportunities for get-togethers. Oscar Night, St. Patty's Day, Mardi Gras, Easter! I really never needed a reason for a party, when I got in the mood a party was planned. Some big, most small (8-10). Have fun!

Posts: 257 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't "entertain" per se, but like to do a few things that I think the grandsons would enjoy. Time to change out the Valentine's wreath for the St. Patrick's one. Will need to make a new spring one.

I have started picking up a few things new for the April holiday. Won't do much for St. Pat's.

The 4th of July BBQ sounds like a lot of fun. I do have a red/white gingham tablecloth and blue bandana print napkins. Saw that in a magazine years ago. Still like the combo. Hope you will post some pix of what you end up doing for the BBQ.

Hope to do a little more decorating for the April holiday.

Strings

posted Hide Post
Next holiday is next month. I was wondering what everyone is doing to get ready for spring and warmer weather. Sure will be welcome after this winter.

I know I need to make a new wreath for the front door. If really productive, one for the back door.

I would love to see some spring decorations if anyone has started. We are expecting another bit of winter weather on Tue. One time a good while ago, my sisters and I went with our late on a bus trip to the Southern Living Spring Show in Charlotte, NC. We left here on a cold, rainy, dark Feb. day and when entering came upon the most glorious riot of spring flowers-----azaleas, tulips etc. It was like magic. There were all colors in Mother nature. A very fond memory. It is dreary and raining today. More like winter than spring.

I have some spring/Easter things my late Mom made and I wish I knew how to display them.

I hope others will share some photos of what is bringing spring to their homes.

Strings