Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  Valentine deco's anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valentine deco's anyone? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
Just wondering if y'all decorate at all for Valentine's or celebrate in some way?

I turning my Christmas Tree into a Val Tree. All it had on it for Christmas was little red birds, and the 'pre-lights' so I'm adding some red and white paper 'doily' hearts.

This was our first tree in over 6 years and I refuse to take it down...lol.

The tree is in the middle of the long formal living/dining space. The dining table is still decked out with red mats/napkins/candles, and gold runner/chargers/napkin rings. There are clear hurricane globes on the candles.

I know I'll enjoy it even if people think I'm nuts... Actually, we're new in town and don't know anybody anyway Wink

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My post disappeared. Drat.

So far I have only done one thing. Removed the grean "baubles" (for lack of a better word) and left the clear and red ones with the battery LED lights. Added glittered red hearts and some beads (necklaces) of silver, red and pink. Really does need some tweaking.

Haven't put the puffed hearts wreath on the door yet.

Really should make some Valentine place mats and napkins with some fabrics that I have had for a good while.

Have some Valentine mugs, but haven't gotten them out yet. Still using the red Christmas ones.

I don't do a lot for Valentines, but do like to do a few things seasonally.

I have gotten a lot of inspiration here on the boards. Wouldn't have thought of the lights with the other items if not for here. May post some photos for help with the tweaking.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice Strings Smile

posted Hide Post
CJO, thank you. Still haven't tweaked it.

Strings

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The public library leaves their tree up year round. She decorates it according to the season...even the start up of football season with a lot of our old spirit ribbons. The first year she did that, she borrowed them. A patron saw it, complimented her on the tree and decorations. After finding out that the ribbons were on loan, she gave hers to the library.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always have a valentine's lunch for friends and I'll decorate the table but that's all I do. And the table changes from year to year -- sometimes I do pinks and sometimes reds . . . always fresh flowers.

The flowers stay on the table for our Valentine's dinner if we eat at home.

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made a Valentine's Day wreath for the foyer at my office and for my MIL's door at her assisted living place. I don't have much at home, still trying to put away all the stuff from Christmas!

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Smile I learned this from a friend....my Valentine's wreath can go from Valentines through the summer.....Heart shaped...but green and flowers....It also has bird houses. When I first saw it, I thought the bird houses were Homes. Sure....I LOVE houses! It just seems to fit!

I kept the red runner on the console, the red poinsettia still blooms, and...my Valentines cards from my DH continues to fill the bronze heart shape container. Smile We have a few heart shapes that are part of the planter. It stays there year round....our home is always filled with Valentines. Why should hearts be only for February? And candles always lit every night...ahhh the romance!

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trish, like your outlook. Our lives should be filled with hearts/love all the time, not just on Feb. 14th.

Strings

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
gooooooo Trish; like your style Smile

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
The public library leaves their tree up year round. She decorates it according to the season...even the start up of football season with a lot of our old spirit ribbons. The first year she did that, she borrowed them. A patron saw it, complimented her on the tree and decorations. After finding out that the ribbons were on loan, she gave hers to the library.

Love that I'm not the only one...never thought of the sports theme though...one friend asked me "what will you do at Mother's Day on your tree????????" Gooddddd questions!!!! Wink

posted Hide Post
Tiny hats and fans, lace bows, small doilies gathered into flower shapes?

Judy

Posts: 406 | Location: Formerly New Hampshire, back home in Maine | Registered: Sep 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trble2'smom:
Tiny hats and fans, lace bows, small doilies gathered into flower shapes?

Judy

Good ideas...like! Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Since I don't entertain for V Day, I do not decorate. That being said, turning your Christmas tree into a Valentines tree followed by a St. Patrick's tree, etc, etc. Is favored by many who love to celebrate the holidays is just the seasons.

For A romantic table any time of the year, consider some of these elements...

Flowers
Candles
Cherubs
Silk rose petrels
Birds
Heart shaped confetti or glass marbles
Glass bubbles
Pearls/beads/crystals
Lace
Velvet ribbon/satin ribbon
Tulle
Crystal stemware
Silver/gold pcs.
China
Fancy charger plates
Bud vases with single stems
Nose gays
Hershey kisses

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I'll put some little bit of something on the chest in my foyer, but that is about all. Fun to hear what the rest of you are doing. Nice list Froo Froo. I love your lists.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I never thought of taking a tree and decorating it for the holidays/events throughout the year. That is a very good idea!

I've never been too much for decorating but maybe this is something I should start doing.

Love hearing what everyone else is doing.

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Isn't this fun?

Couple things to add to Froo's list that I have...antique-valentine tin, antique framed valentine, and a few valentine's I have received over the years. Smile

Decorating lights up my life Smile

posted Hide Post
When I had a young family, they always loved seeing the appropriate seasonal decorations I put out. Made the home cheery for them. Thus it's continues to this day, tho sometimes not to the extent when they they were home. Both son and daughter do this in their homes for their families as well. Just thoughtful touches to brighten up ones home.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
When my children were young and brought home their classroom Valentines, we'd put them up onto our living room mantel. They were always amazed how many cards could fill the mantel. Add a couple extra birthdays and their were numerous cards!
Now as young adults, I gave them decorative Red Valentines to them to display in their homes. While our GD came to visit, I captured many photos. One in particular was very beautiful as a Valentine picture; it made a very personal Valentine from her. Smile She kept saying while visiting "I wuv wu"; this gm HAD to include this onto the picture.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hung the Valentine wreath on the front door. I made it a long time ago and it is beginning to show it's age.

Next will be to get the Valentine mugs out and washed.

Not doing too much else.

Strings

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
One fun way to evoke Valentine's Day (or any holiday for that matter) I have found is to buy antique post cards and displaying them. I have a New Year's one on my powder room mirror at the moment. I also have a white wire standing frame which you can hook photos, cards or postcards to and I have used that to display my vintage post cards on often. The cards and post cards of yesteryear are so sweet and whimsical. The messages on the backs only add to the sentiment of this holiday. They don't cost much either.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping up. Sure would like for the Benghazi post to go to the bottom or another page.

Froo, you have some great ideas. Thanks for sharing them.

Need to replace the bow on the other heart wreath.

Should have made Valentine placemats.

I know repeating myself some. Sorry.

Strings