Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  Christmas: packing decorations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas: packing decorations Sign In/Join 
posted
What is a good way to pack away Christmas tree bead garland?

Posts: 347 | Location: Amherst, VA USA | Registered: Jul 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If I still had the tube it came on I would wind it back on and tape the loose end. If I don't have the tube I layer it in a box with tissue paper taking care to keep the strands separate.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Another idea:
Cut some heavy cardboard or foam core into a sort of bow-tie shape, maybe 12 inches long. Wider on each end, skinnier in the center? Wrap the garland around, wrap the whole thing in clear saran/plastic wrap or tape ends as Charming mentioned above.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
The way I do mine, is I take one strand and lay it back and forth style in a sheet of tissue paper. Then I fold up the tissue with the garland inside. I have several strings and after they are each wrapped in tissue I pack them into a storage box.

Posts: 7254 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I solved that problem by using only popcorn/cranberry garlands on my trees. I just throw them away when we take down the tree! Seriously, thoough, when I still used my bead garlands, I started putting them in those inexpensive glass vases that florist arrangements come in when I took them off the tree. Now I use them as decorations for tabletops in the same vases they are stored in.

Posts: 3499 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I just plop mine in the box that I put the tree skirt and tinsel in -- they're red glass I think and we've used them for 20 years and haven't lost one yet!

Martha

Posts: 6228 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the plastic frame that you wind lights on and used it for my beaded garland.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post