Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  upcoming holidays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

upcoming holidays Sign In/Join 
posted
I am so looking forward to the warm weather holidays. As much as I love the winter/cold weather holidays, much to look forward to this time of year.

Trying to think of some easy, inexpensive changes to make inside and out. Anyone else feel the same?

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6398 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a temperate climate, so I don't see as much change from season to season as others might. However, I always change out my bedding, throw pillows and decorative accessories from fall/winter to spring/summer and back.

Inexpensive throw pillows seem to be available everywhere these days. A new wreath for the front door and some blooming pots of flowers can be an easy way to welcome warmer weather. I also love washing all of the windows so that the sunshine sparkles into the house after darker winter days.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions, Graciepj!

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My house changes as well -- the indoor plants go OUTSIDE and the house feels so bare when they're first moved outside and more tabletops have garden flowers as the garden begins it's seasonal bloom and I adore having seasonal flowers inside!

I don't change pillows because mine are my needlepoint ones.

The porch changes with the cushions back out and some blooming plants on the porch as well.

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot to do. About time for some outdoor plants. Neighbor planted earlier and she is having to cover them up due to the drop in temperature.

Needed some inspiration. Thanks!

Strings

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I find like-new toss pillows at Goodwill for about two dollars.

I have lots of dark brown pillows on a dark brown couch (it came that way) and I'm thinking of looking for fun fabric to 'spring up' that room.

Maybe treat yourself to a beautiful fern for your entry, dining table, coffee table, etc. Then, when the weather improves, let it live outside Smile

Also, don't overlook greenery from your yard. Vases of newly budding branches are fun to watch!

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I change out my throw pillows too. More springy colors and patterns. I also change my kitchen table cover to a more springy pattern. That way it brightens up my kitchen a little bit.

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Definitely, a good Spring cleaning followed by lighter/brighter fabrics does wonders. Fresh flowers on a table, a floral print here and there, some crisp whites all around, opening windows and resurrecting lawn furniture and outdoor rugs and mats all herald warmer weather and that easy, breezy feel we crave after the winter months. Even changing into more seasonable art can be uplifting and need not break the bank. For instance, I bring out a framed and copied print of a robin's nest with eggs to place on my powder room vanity. Using framed fabrics, paper, photos or clips from old books or magazine are frugal ways to feature seasonal images and colors. Also, don't forget to bring the outside in via things like seasonal branches, potted grass, moss, flowers, herbs, garden statuary, a gazing ball, a piece of ornamental lattice, a garden gate, a birdbath, birdhouses, a pretty watering can,etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18796 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great ideas Froo!

Spring cleaning is a must here right now. Just need to find the energy to do it.

Thanks!

Strings

posted Hide Post
We had our cookout tonight, since the boys' aunt was having their family cookout tomorrow. It is so nice outside right now.

Strings

posted Hide Post
My house is in desparate need of a seasonal uplift and this thread has given me the motivation to get out there and start grabbing some things to spruce up spring (in my house I mean).

I'm halfway through the spring cleaning already so I guess I'm not that far behind.

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are all behind in some ways. Hey dose anyone subscribe to HGTV mag? The only place I could find it was online at the Hearst Magazine website. The charged by card 10x for the one magazine so I had to cancel the entire order and cancel my card or my credit card would not remove the charges. I had ordered magazines through Hearst Company 10 years ago and a similar thing happened.

Posts: 2 | Location: for information you need to know | Registered: Jun 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know anyone know how else to get HGTV?

Posts: 2 | Location: for information you need to know | Registered: Jun 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We didn't do anything for Labor Day. Won't do much for Halloween. Now really forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Need to replace sad looking plants in the planters with some mums. Fall cleaning is in order too. Will go with fall decorations mostly instead of Halloween. I know some really go out for Halloween decorations, but I do a little just for that day mostly. Fall will evolve into Christmas. Usually leave my village up past Christmas.

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Strings - I'm like you -- I only decorate for fall and not Halloween.

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 847 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post