Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  Christmas shopping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas shopping Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I have started. Got a lot of stuff at the fair today. Handmade mittens, jewelry, beeswax products (candles, hand cream, etc) we have also bought books and I like to buy from the internet (Ebay daily deals) we only buy for six people all together inc DH and myself.

Problem is no one in our family really "Needs" anything. Still I like the gift exchange if it doesn't go on to long with too much which tends to happen in our family. What about your shopping?

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I ordered my sister's Christmas gift a couple of weeks ago. I have a photo of her oldest granddaughter ice skating in Central Park. I took the photo and wiped out the color and blured it so it is mainly a representation of Mel. Living Social had a great special for The Canvas People and I will be giving her a mounted 16" X 20" canvas of the photo. It is really pretty sharp.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I have started the "wish list" on Amazon, and gathered the post cards from the magazine subscriptions I am giving.

I know pretty much what every one is getting this year..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started shopping for the grandkids. I am making some little gifts for friends and family.

Posts: 309 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Charming that sounds like a great present! I remember when I took my then 5 year old daughter in the summertime to where they skate in the winter. We were having lunch outside. At that time she liked only olives and the waiter brought her a huge plate filled with them!

I am also giving my DD a photo of her grandparents (Dh's parents) when they were going together. They look so sharp although they were both poor! Getting a print for DH too.

Kathy I love getting things from Amazon. Got my DGS a DVD collection "the Story of film" cause he has always wanted to be a movie director!

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I made each Step D a photo blanket with photos of their great grandparents, grandparents and more current photos of them. They both really enjoy family photos.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I know this is going to be hard to believe, ladies, but my husband does all the Christmas shopping in our family. He loves it, I hate it, so why not. Occasionally I will help him, but only if he asks me to. Sometime around mid December he will tell me what every one is getting, and I will comment if I think there are any holes. (Someone getting a lot less that everyone else for instance) I do the cooking and decorating, so I have plenty to do without the shopping. Interestingly, he is much more invested in the holiday since we have been doing things this way, which has been several years.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Cocok, that is great. DH is funny, when he finds something he wants to give as a gift, it is the most important thing for that person to open. Sometimes I have to shrug and point, but most of the times he picks something pretty cool.

Fun and Info

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
You know, Charming, the first year we divided up the Christmas work, I was a little unsure of turning the shopping over to him because I was used to being in control of that. He told me he would only do it if he had complete ownership of the job. He didn't want to feel like he was running around trying to find the things I wanted him to get. He wanted to do the choosing. I went for it, and was pretty nervous on that Christmas morning, but wouldn't you know, the kids liked everything he picked, just as much as what I would have chosen. (Even clothing) That was a big lesson for me. Now I don't worry at all. Bottom line for me is that he is way, way more excited about participating in the holiday now, because he has an important part to play.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post