Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Holidays
  preparing stump for seasonal decorating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

preparing stump for seasonal decorating Sign In/Join 
Picture of trish212
posted
I have a stump that I thought I could hollow out to put flower pots in. Then, we'd be prepared to put the pumpkins in the hollowed out space for fall. Ornament for Winter, etc.

Any idea how to hollow out the stump?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The way I would tackle the hole? Use a large spade bit in a drill, and drill core holes all around the outer ring of the hole you want. Drill as deep as you want it too. You can leave some space between the holes, but probably no more than 3/4 inches?

Then get a good/sharp wood chisel and start removing the center one chunk at a time. Working around the ring to the middle, and of course the spots between the holes.

Hope it is not for too large and too deep a pot?

Posts: 9600 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Thanks Conrad.

I wasn't going to make it deep. I did some of the steps you suggested. The wood is maple.

Have you ever used coals to hollow it out this way?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
No, but you could try? Hopefully not burn more of the entire stump in the process. That would be my fear anyway.

Posts: 9600 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use fire to get the depression you need because you will not have as much control. And you will not get the bottoms flat enough. Your pot of flowers would probably wobble all over the place.

Have you thought about buying one of those clear plastic pot bases (I think that is what you call them. Do you know what I mean? Cost about one dollar). A screw or nail thru the middle would hold it on the tree. Flat for your pot, walls for your your pumpkin and a lot easier.

Posts: 6980 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Conrad, I read your idea aloud to hub who said that it was a good idea. Metwo, I think he liked the simplicity of your's. He may have a little more power when he uses the chisel than I did. We'll see which one gets completed. Smile

I was just thinking of the coals after watching a video about Lewis and Clark and how Native Americans hollowed out trees for canoes with coals. However, my ability to control the fire may not be as good.

posted Hide Post
Please DO NOT even consider using fire - please!

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We did MORE investigating of using hot coals to hollow out the log. It worked well. My husband thought it would take two years. By scoring the wood where I wanted the "bowl" set, it was completed in four hours. Definitely keep water available when doing a project like this. The plant fits in it nicely. Looking forward to putting in a pumpkin this fall. Smile

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good JOB!!!

I will mentally file that one away, if ever I need/want to do something similar.Smile

posted Hide Post
Happy for you, Trish, that it worked and hope you'll be posting some beautiful phots of it and the pumpkins nect fall! Smile

Now, please make sure that the coals are ALL out - some can smoulder for several days - I'm probably a bit sensitive about the subject of fires right now as Idaho is burning up... Frown

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Idaho Resident, I thought you had a reason like you mentioned. Sorry to hear about the fires in Idaho. As a child, I learned early on how fire can get out of control. ALWAYS,always have a way to put it out. DH was around watering the garden and yard. He kept an eye on it, too.