HGTV Message Boards
Rating System

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7271099373/m/9071005614

Nov 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
HGTV Julia
Rating System
Hello everyone,

I closed up a few of the various discussions on this topic and started a central one here. We've reviewed all of your thoughts and the discussions will remain available for viewing, but please share any further thoughts in this thread. It makes it easier for us to track all of your feedback.

As with many online rating systems, Rate My Space relies on cookies in order to mitigate some of the ways users can "game" a rating system. We understand that this isn't foolproof, but the fact remains that technical solutions are not always the best way to close every loophole available to users who want to abuse a system. And while we are always trying to improve the site, one of the things we have to take into account is the vast number of users who will be affected by every technical change.

I am really pleased to report that abuse of the rating system is actually a very, very small percentage of activity throughout RMS. I think this is because the majority of our RMS users are focused on sharing ideas, displaying your hard work, and getting inspired. The HGTV Team is doing our best to support your efforts, and I'd like to take this chance to thank everyone who has contributed to that positive spirit in the RMS community. While we determine the best course of action moving forward, your cooperation in the meantime is really appreciated. You guys are what make this site work the way it does!

Matt and I will keep you posted on any technical changes that come along, but I hope this addresses some of your concerns and makes clear that our team is listening to all of your feedback. Again, please feel free to keep the discussion going here, or contact me via private message.
Nov 30, 2009, 04:56 PM
mick53
So as I understand this you are addressing the rating system but not the people who abuse the raters? I'm sorry but that doesn't seem like that takes care of the problem of intimidation. You have a group of people who do not want to receive any criticism at all. If you criticize them they bring all of their friends in and call you names. I think this is unfair on our behalf and should be addressed as well.
Thanks
Nov 30, 2009, 05:26 PM
Marley Mae
OH No here it goes again. Answer this Mick 53 Are you not guilty of repeat rating rooms over an abundance of times? Nothing here to do with your comment/comments rather the repeat rating going on. If you deny this you are simply not being honest I am not one of your so called "Posse" I saw what you did before they even caught on I just sat back and watched you in action, Then you were found out and it didnt take long. Yoy have visited my post unkowingly. As far as I know you didnt repeat me but just rated with no comment. Now I did see you in action on many cases doing the dirty deed. You cannot nor convince those who saw the proof otherwise. You should just carry on in a better manner and mature from this stage of behavior. Its so imature to keep going where you are not appreciated nor respected. Nor should you be. You are not alone in this. As Julia states there is a minor amount of RMS users who abuse, its not new, its not rocket science, its not funny & its not cute. You are on here so often you must not work or if you have children you need to spend time with them and hang up the innocent act. Those who side with you, well they too have a history. Be Done! I am ,and I have more important things to value then your continued baffled behavior. I have said my piece, Good Day!
Nov 30, 2009, 06:47 PM
mick53
Tell me, how do you sit back and watch me? I don't sit back and watch anybody except for the people who slam me. How do you know what I rate? You may be able to tell who's site I've been on but not what I am rating! Something else nosey. I have rated some people a five more than once because I would look at their site several times and like it so much I would give them another 5 so I guess this is wrong too? If you people know so much, I guess it's like some one else said on here, I'm sure you are rating each other a 5 over and over. I don't care who wants me on their site, this is a public forum and until they change it your little group of poor decorators can just sit back and watch it!
Nov 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
deckr8r
well ya just click on a name and like magic you can see the profile and the recent history. as to rating people over, ya cant do it without cheating 1 vote as it recognises history. I have seen on my visits I do that if I vote onece on say Monday if i go back on Friday I still cant revote yet you do it over and over in a 12 hr. time frame. So thats says "cheat " all over it If we voted ourselves up dont ya think wed be 5 all the time silly. Look at our feedback so few negatives so many positives. You have none so we dont see that. I am guessing your afraid to post for that reason. Dont know what youll get back. It is not so you dont bring attention to yourself as you claim because you do it so often here. If you dont care then leave us alone and just drop it. isnt there more issues that take more importance to you. I am not trying to be a prude here I am serious. Whats done is done past is past let it be OK. There has to be more fun in your life then this fueling the fire. If not then there is more to the story. I am done fighting with you as well you have proved us right time and time again. With that being said i too say Good Day!
Nov 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
taadaa
Thanks Julia for the update and feedback. You are right though, it is only a small percentage of people who abuse the system, whether it be rating several times on the same space because they love it so, or down rating on the same space because they hate it so. You have clearly addressed our concerns on this site. Thank you RMS team for working hard to remedy it. Debbie
Nov 30, 2009, 08:03 PM
_nebraska
Thank you Julia for your response, and thank you RMS for being able to see the reality of the game and deal with it in the best possible way. I respect HGTV, and RMS and whatever decision they make and will always post ideas no matter the ratings or comments. Everybody has a choice, everybody knows what's right and what's wrong. That shouldn't have to be the responsibility of RMS, it should be the responsibility of the users, the people. People can continue on with their repetitive actions regarding the rating system or they can do what was intended in the first place. Rate a room once, no matter if it is a one of a five. Once is enough.The users make the decision to do right or wrong. Thank you RMS, and thank you Julia.
Nov 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
mick53
Once again, you people prove what I have said, you are watching me continuously. If RMS listens to Debbie, she will be running the place. I think they are just trying to keep you people quiet. I have talked to other people on here and it seems this has been going on a while. You intimidate people so everyone is afraid to rate you low! News travels and your reputation precedes you, Debbie. Good Day
Dec 01, 2009, 11:08 AM
HGTV Julia
I know this is a heated topic. I'd like to ask everyone to review the guidelines for posting to this message board before commenting. They can be found on the top left-hand corner of this page.

quote:
Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.

Thanks as always for your help!
Dec 02, 2009, 11:43 AM
Mississtea
Thank you Julia.
Dec 02, 2009, 11:28 PM
Marley Mae
Selica as was and is again, writes in a comment "When ya give them a less then 5 it really upsets them" Now tell me, is that not admission?
Dec 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
studiomom
When I looked a member's kitchen for her other uploads I saw in her profile that she was able to rate our kitchen twice. How is that possible? Our kitchen had not been rated in a while and those two ratings lowered it - ouch.
Dec 29, 2009, 02:46 AM
luvuprincess
studiomom: There is a glitch in the system that no one else seems to have noticed or mentioned...if a comment or rating appears at the bottom of a 'recent activity' page, it also appears at the top of the previous page, making it look as if the space has been rated twice. Go back and check the rater in a day or two...I think you'll find that he/she rated your kitchen only once.

Julia, what about this glitch? Could that be causing some of the repeat-rating misunderstandings?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: luvuprincess,
Dec 29, 2009, 08:50 AM
studiomom
Thank you, I did notice the glitch, but I also noted this same user was able to rate her own kitchen twice without it being at the top of one and bottom of another. She recently turned off the option to show her activity. I wouldn't have looked twice, but her paragraphs about her own kitchen are all over people's sites (cringe). There are also a highly unusual number of "views" (1,920 in two days?) for a "4" rated kitchen with hardly anyone commenting. It is lovely, but, honestly, unusual. Perhaps I am too new for this to comment.

In this past month we have experienced people with a tremendous amount of class and vision. I am glad our kitchen has been well-received, but the best part (I know this as an artist) is to be surrounded by peers who are equal, if not superior, to your own talents. This certainly is the case with this site.

p.s. I have gotten more inspirational ideas (real keepers) from people who had similar budgets to ours or much less, not entire guts and remodels with all the bells and whistles. Sometimes money circumvents the creative process. Problem solving (working with what we have within our budget) forces us to use that other side of the brain where magic happens. My favorite makeovers are the first time buyers. I remember our early 70's ranch fondly and there wasn't an ounce of stainless in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: studiomom,
Dec 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
luvuprincess
[QUOTE]Originally posted by studiomom:
Perhaps I am too new for this to comment.

Sorry, studiomom, I am fairly new, too, and I hang out mostly in the boards. I checked out both kitchens, and although hers is more "mainstream", I prefer yours, and I'd rate them both 5*. Kudos on handling this with grace, and welcome to the community.
Dec 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
studiomom
Thanks Luvuprincess for the kind words. I wouldn't mind if they erased the stars altogether. The comments carry much more meaning.

I still think the site is experiencing some "gaming" right now. I would rather see designs like "Mom'skitchen" and "Diannee" get the attention from viewers.
Dec 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
gardengirl1209
i just wish you could just get rid of the rateing systaum reason being there is no rate my space show so now you could call it share my space no ones feeling will be hurt we are all here to get ideas and share the fun Smile)
Dec 31, 2009, 03:41 PM
studiomom
Honestly, do we have to watch this all over again for a second time?
Jan 05, 2010, 12:25 PM
angeline67
this is just a suggestion to the staff...........perhaps those who have the priviledge to vote should also submit a comment,either good, bad or indifferent, that way the space rated would know who and what they rated and how many times. This way the abuse could be identified in a timely fashion and delt with swiftly and with justice.To those who do not like negative responses.......be mature, there are many different tastes.
Jan 05, 2010, 12:35 PM
taadaa
I have to say for once I am enjoying listening to the comments about the rating system. RMS has not changed it, and the abuse will continue as long as it is in place currently. I really am over it, my spaces have been bashed down to a point of ridiculous and others I see on here as well the same. If I was given a negative response for every one and two I have been given well so be it. I get nothing but wonderful comments and nice viewers. So in other words I have "stalkers" LOL!!! Hey I just started a blog, don't know what I am doing but thought we could learn together, come on over and give it some thoughtSmile http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com. No stalkers allowed please...although you can't rate me there so come on over maybe you will have some fun!!!~
Jan 06, 2010, 08:41 PM
Begoluna
quote:
Originally posted by gardengirl1209:
i just wish you could just get rid of the rateing systaum reason being there is no rate my space show so now you could call it share my space no ones feeling will be hurt we are all here to get ideas and share the fun Smile)

No, not get rid of the whole rating system... but maybe have it optional: either show the stars on the screen (like it happens now) or let the user turn the stars off and nobody can rate. Just an idea!

Would we end then this "ranting the rating and rating the ranting" thing??! Shhh

Hi, gardengirl! I was visiting some of your beautiful spaces yesterday. I didn't comment them, sorry, but I gave you 5 stars each. Wave

=.=.=.=.=
Begoluna
=.=.=.=.=
Jan 08, 2010, 01:14 PM
mick53
I just saw something else that makes me think something is wrong with rating system. I was looking at a bedroom, it had 0 views but 16 ratings. I looked at the profile and they had not rated themselves, so what is up with that?
Jan 08, 2010, 01:43 PM
deede11
too bad theyre not listening,the rating system is the big reason for all the angst here!
i see where one poster says she votes more than once, simply because she can..multiply that and u have a problem with the system.
Jan 08, 2010, 01:51 PM
taadaa
Having a lot more fun on my blog!! I told RMS countless times they where going people where frustrated and just left. They have their own way of thinking on this rating system...oh well! http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com
Jan 08, 2010, 02:14 PM
MyLifeVacation1
I don't understand how people can rate a space more than once....guess I'm not technically sophisticated enough. I stopped submitting my remakes because I have a small income and a small home and my redos were budget necessities, yet I was constantly being berated for being "cheap" and not installing marble countertops and tiled backsplashes and wood floors. Making those kinds of upgrades in an $83,000 house on a $24,000 retirement income is just plain not practical...but high income snobs don't understand things like that. But that does not mean I don't appreciate or like a nice looking place.

Also, last summer I posted a $20 budget facelift on my garage front....it had over 4000 hits....I don't know how that happened...it was a mistake....3000 hits happened overnight...and I had nothing to do with it...only had about 20 ratings and lots of negative comments because I painted faux hinges rather than installed $200 hinges and my planter had $3 worth of impatiens instead of a topiary, yada, yada, yada, so I got defeated and took it down. But I digress...how did 4000 hits appear? The garages before and after me were averaging 50-100 views.

Newbie blog: http://livingcleanandgreen.blogspot.com/
Jan 09, 2010, 11:13 AM
taadaa
Well this is the deal and only my opinion here so take it for it is worth. Most people who come on this site and post their homes, are proud. Whether it is a million dollar home or a 50,000 home. If you do a project you are proud of and want to share, the last thing you want is to be belittled or given one star. I truly believe it is a competitive site,we live in a competitive world. The rating system encourages that all. Women can and are jealous it is in our nature sometimes and can't help it. We all want to be seen and heard and made to feel good! I think the rating system adds to the hostility and to the jealousy of others. Now as for comments, if one is really off and mean spirited it should not be allowed on the page and the user should have the right to delete it. This is suppose to be a positive and fun experience. When I see comments like this is ugly, that is horrible, etc.....that can really crush a person and their spirit, especially if it is something they truly loved and was proud to share. Offering positive insight and helpful suggestions is what the focus should be on. There certainly has to be a better way here....FIGURE it out HGTV/RMS because what you have going on here at times is pure and unnecessary nonsense!! That is all I am going to say about that. http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com
Jan 09, 2010, 12:50 PM
Begoluna
quote:
Originally posted by deede11:
too bad theyre not listening,the rating system is the big reason for all the angst here!
i see where one poster says she votes more than once, simply because she can..multiply that and u have a problem with the system.

The problem is not only with the system, but with some of our computers. Some people say that they cannot, they are not allowed to rate more than one single time; others, we can.

Sometimes I don't remember if I have rated an space, so I do rate it--maybe again, there's that possibility; other times, I'm rating several spaces from the same person, and I rate a few that I know I have rated before.

But I don't sit down for hours or days rating the same stars the same people the same pic over and over again and again.

I wish the system and our personal computers allowed us to rate only once here. I also wish each member had the option to take away or not the stars... Star and the negative comments. They hurt.

I would like to say that I'm sorry if I've damage somebody's feelings. That's not my intention. Group Hug

=.=.=.=.=
Begoluna
=.=.=.=.=
Jan 10, 2010, 12:09 PM
luvuprincess
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Begoluna:
The problem is not only with the system, but with some of our computers. Some people say that they cannot, they are not allowed to rate more than one single time; others, we can.
------------------------------------------------

I use firefox browser, which clears the history 'cookies' every time I turn it off. That doesn't mean I take advantage of the system (or rate at all). You go to 'tools' and click on options. Check the option to clear your history every time you turn off the browser. Some people may not be aware that their browser is configured this way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: luvuprincess,
Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
HGTV Matt
Thanks everyone. We are aware of the rating system issue. Rest assured it is on our list of fixes - only 1 rating per user per space. However our list of fixes is very long and will take some time to tackle this.
Feb 27, 2010, 08:29 AM
On_the_east_twin
If RMS just allowed everyone to give 1 star if you like it and no stars if you don't, then people could only add to a rating not take away from it. Once you reached a certain number of stars you would be a fair, then good, then outstanding. People don't take the time to download pictures to be slammed. It means they are proud of their space, or are asking for help. No one would be "poor" they just wouldn't be anything until they had enough hits to be atleast "fair".