Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Rate My Space
  The Rate My Space Community

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Rate My Space Community Sign In/Join 
HGTV Staff
Picture of HGTV Julia
posted
Hello all,

As evidenced on this board, there have been some long-standing issues with in-fighting, flaming, and comment wars between various users using Rate My Space. The Customer Service team does their very best to review the flag queue, remove inappropriate content, and walk the line between allowing constructive feedback versus moderating comments that hurt feelings or leave other users feeling attacked.

We want to take this opportunity to remind the community of several things:

First, we reserve the right to cancel your account at any time, with or without warnings from us.

Second, users who have a history of problematic behavior will be receiving correspondence from our team explaining the issues and asking for more cooperation.

Third, thank you all for your feedback and patience. We've been focusing on getting the site working and optimizing the time it takes to load the pages, and I hope those improvements are starting to make a difference in your browsing experience. Now we're able to focus more closely on these interpersonal problems between users and hope to see dramatic improvement from everyone involved.

I'll leave this thread open for your comments and discussion. I know this is an important issue, and we want your feedback. However, it would be great if everyone can try to wipe the slate clean here and not re-start the name-calling or accusations between individuals at this time. We're hoping a fresh start will make for a much better experience for everyone.

If you'd like to send me a private message through this board, please feel free to do so.

Picture of sabrtyca/tomboy
posted Hide Post
If this works, I will start posting my spaces again and will join people that I miss on the community boards. I used to really enjoy the feedback and topics discussed on the boards but, things got way out of control for a long time...Thank you for trying to address this long-standing issue!!!

Posts: 45 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Jan 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
About six months ago I deleted all three of my uploads. I was emailed the message I am responding to, but I have not been to the site since I withdrew my contributions. I am glad to see that negative predator behavior will be addressed (I wasn't a victim, but frustrated by how intentionally crass some posters were and with what seemed like free, unrestricted reign). It isn't difficult to follow the shrapnel trail of those who take shots at others, those who "game the site" to keep their posts up front or (as in my case) a "full time" message board participant who sought out to stir up issues between parties and then, out of an obvious need for importance, try to "hero" their way to resolutions (to the very problems they created or helped stoke).

Picture of HGTVAdmin
posted Hide Post
Please flag any inappropriate comments so that Admin is aware. That's the best thing you can do, report this activity. Do not partake.

As for the feature requests to delete comments or ability to block users regrettably, that is not an available option on the current system. We appreciate your suggestion and will consider for future. Right now only Admin has those rights and why we offer the flagging system, so that you may report this type of behavior to us.

HGTV Admin

Picture of HGTVAdmin
posted Hide Post
This thread has become a continuation of the banter on RMS and is not tolerated here on the boards either. Therefore, I have removed a few posts. All involved have been contacted and warned. Fresh start guys, let's make it happen. We appreciate your cooperation in doing so.

HGTV Admin

posted Hide Post
Correct me if im wrong, but im not sure HGTV would like to correct the problem with the site at all. As evidenced by removing posts which identify what the real problems are. I believe "Basictobeautiful" stated it in her thread, which u closed aswell. The comments here which were removed werent "bantering". We were simply answering the question that was posed to us as users. I dont think u want to know what the REAL problems are. I totally understand about bantering in the actual rooms, but mistakingly thought that , thats what this message board was for???? That things could be more easily expressed here. When there is someone who is mis-using the site for their own personal agenda isnt it our duty to inform u of whats happening?? Isnt that what u started this thread for???? The problem in flagging is that u dont get the "whole" pic. Sometimes a comment within itself wont sound questionable, but the combined dialogue with the poster and other users will bring the comments true meaning to light. Constant flagging of a site misuser WONT deter them. Only makes it a hassle for other users, and besides isnt the damage already done, if its been read? U cant "un-read" an objectional comment...........or can u???

Posts: 31 | Location: jacksonville | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Report This Post
HGTV Staff
Picture of HGTV Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi madquilter2,

All we're asking is that folks realize that we've reached out to all of the users involved, and everyone is interested in making a fresh start. Continuing to complain about individual users, even if obliquely avoiding mentioning names, is definitely not in the spirit of a "fresh start" and that's why we're asking people not to do it here or on the site.

The purpose of this thread is to inform the community of this and give you a chance to respond to that fact. We are not asking for more input on the problem - we've read all of your previous comments and this is the solution we've decided to try.

Therefore, posts that attack or imply problems with individual users' histories will continue to be removed.

If you have a problem with a comment or a user, you can flag it, you can send a link to me in a private message, or you can reach out directly to the Customer Service team on the HGTV Contact Us page. There are lots of ways to get in touch without starting a public debate on these boards, and while we're waiting to see if this fresh start gets better results from everyone, that's what we're asking all of you to do.

Please let me know if I can explain this further, but I hope you understand why we're monitoring these boards so closely. We really want to see if speaking to individual users is helpful for the community, and the only way to do that is to ask everyone to start anew and let the old issues go.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Julia, while i appreciate ur response, still not quite sure what u mean by "fresh start". Things arent usually "fresh", until they are swept out, and cleaned up. I for one will be doing my part, in not bantering in the rooms. Trying not to fight with anyone , no matter how much they try to goad me into it. Or if i disagree with their brand of "constructive" critisism...........That being said, I guess i will have to explore other avenues than the boards for venting my, and many others grievences with another user. Thank u again, and i wont clutter the boards with this issue any longer, as this will be my last post here...........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madquilter2,

Posts: 31 | Location: jacksonville | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
fresh start, really?
And with all the flagging, do you not still see the problem is STILL going at it full throttle!

and yet our post/responses still get removed?
Now you tell me, something is still not right here, this is so one sided.
This is like going to court, facing your adversities then being told to not to say a word.

Could you, would you stand for this type of action taken against you? for simply answering what you here at HGTV put to us.

HGTV Staff
Picture of HGTV Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi ginnai,

Please send me a message with the spaces you're concerned about. I know you can't collect every single one, but if you feel you've flagged items that you feel need to be removed and haven't been, please send the URLs my way so I can look into it. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

posted Hide Post
HGTV Admin and Julia, per your request, I have sent you a private message regarding this topic.

Picture of HGTVAdmin
posted Hide Post
madquilter - The off-topic, inappropriate comments and banter are being swept out and cleaned up as they are reported to us and with a first and final warning to all involved. We are hoping everyone takes this opportunity to STOP the behavior and start fresh. We appreciate your cooperation in doing so. Flag those that goad you so we can put a stop to it. I know it is hard to bite your tongue sometimes but in this case, it is doing more good. Lashing out only fuels the animosity. Reporting to us Admin is the best thing you can do.

ginnai - With all the flagging no, I see that problem is now being put in the right hands, Admin, rather than the back and forth banter between users. Every time a comment is flagged, it is reported to Admin to review and determine to leave as is, edit or remove. If you have a questions regarding one of your posts being removed, please PM us or contact our Customer Service team through the Contact Us link at the bottom right hand corner of the webpage. In no way do we believe this is a one-sided and is why all involved were notified and warned of their behavior.

HGTV Admin

posted Hide Post
Well I am glad to see some problems are being taken care of! Hope to see EVERYTHING taken care of in the near future! This system has been flawed for so long in so many aspects it's just ridiculous. My hope is that one day everybody can be honest with everything, but until that day I'm afraid the nonsense with fighting and repeat rating will continue. Everyone feels defensive at this point one way or another, and everyone has different opinions and people have to accept that. I long for the day of honesty on RMS. I am sure a reputable business like HGTV is working on a solution. You just wouldn't think a site hosted by Home and Garden Television would have all this deceit going on all the time. Again- look forward to the future where people can only rate a room once. And I am glad comments that are rude are deleted and the ones that are constructive and misinterpreted as rude are left!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: _nebraska,

posted Hide Post
My post was removed. I will repost with an edited version that I hope will comply with the rules.

Given the fact that my name is mentioned here and my locked thread has been deleted, I thought I'd add my two worthless Canadian cents.

I have received several emails thanking me for starting the thread that pinpointed [some] issues that take place on RMS
I have removed HGTV-RMS from my favourites and no longer rate or comment on rooms. I come back about once a month to check to see if RMS has had intervention by the RMS Mods.

I can suspect by the number of posts/rates/comments that are being left, that I am not the only member that has been driven away.

I am the member of several message boards and the like, of many varying subjects and have never seen the lack of moderation that should be expected at a site run by a major television network.

posted Hide Post
Julia, I have to agree with all comments. I thought this was a site for people to learn and use to help them feel better about their home, and what they have. With the economy, people need advice that will help them not break them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

posted Hide Post
Ladies talked to a great Designer yesterday, she was a wonderful person to talk to, learned alot, tip for christmas, she said people think all of their houses has to comply with the colors of christmas, people make a mistake buying thins for that season, she said to look around your home and pick the color you use the most even if it is pink or purple play with colors, she said with so many christmas colors out now you go with what you have. thought very good suggestion! Also she said people rush in trying to decorate and they they look back and say why did I do that, she said personality, and style of home has alot to do with what direction you want to go.

posted Hide Post
Try Houzz.com Great pics and ideas without the mean, nasty comments. I found better inspiration and less drama on that site.

Happy Holidays.