Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

halloween? OT Sign In/Join 
posted
How many kids did you have?
We had a shock we had over 200 kids!! No one told us they block off the streets and let the kids come!! I've never seen so many kids!!! We ran out of candy by 7 and they started coming at 5:30!! They were still coming at 8pm! I even borrow candy from the neighbor who has lived here and knew about all the kids. Wished he's told me! Whew glad that's over. We will buy more candy next yr!!!! Or go on vacation!!!
One lady told me this is the only neighbor hood she comes to!!

Carlene

Posts: 1636 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I live in a rural area so don't get any kids. The nearest town and the various villages have parties for the kids that are well attended.

I well remember getting 200+ kids when we lived in the city. It was fun seeing all the costumes but I don't miss it.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
We don't get any either. Too far off of the road.

So I get to eat the candy! Smile

Posts: 10423 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, Add me to thte list. No kids here either. Only two houses on street and one is an apartment building with no children.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I never count...over 100 for sure. Love to see the little ones in their costumes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
It is a good time, however, I think it can get a little out of hand at times. 200+ is a lot of kids. They come in droves to our place too.Many of the kids we had last night were "young adults". That to me is a little ridiculous.

Posts: 15321 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
In this rural area, we've never had many trick or treaters and none in the last several years since they all grew up. Now most of the churches hold Trunk or Treat parties with games, food and of course treats. Last night we set up a face painting table and let the kids do the painting...on us and each other. I was the first volunteer. At first I was to be a movie star then they got real creative - LOL

ve

Posts: 3582 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Big Grin VE, that is adorable! They did a good job for the first one! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

We don't get any out here either, too far out and the driveway is too long....but only about 1/3 as long as VE's driveway!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Vera, that is really funny & cute!
We get TOT's (Trick or Treaters!). In years past, I used to sit outside on the steps with my candy bowl waiting for the TOT's. In the last few yrs, I stopped doing that. I had things to do and didn't feel like sitting outside in the cold (it was cooler in Halloweens past). Two yrs. ago we had a freak snowstorm on Oct. 29th and last yr. Hurricane Sandy on same date. I have candy and if they ring my bell I will hand it out. I discovered that if you don't decorate your porch/house for Halloween they don't ring your bell (?) I really don't want kids climbing up the stairs to my house cause I'm afraid they may trip and fall with their costumes and I don't want to get sued if they get hurt. Then one yr. I just left the bowl of candy on the lower level steps but I am sure it was emptied immediately. It was easier when I lived in condos/apts.
I definitely would not want 200 kids TOT'ing on Halloween. I would go away for a few hrs. When does it stop, what time - 8 PM? Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2432 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
VE,

How shall I say this...you look...different. Snicker, snicker, snicker.

Posts: 4909 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL Joy...you didn't know I had a speckled nose and a curly mustashe did you.........and after all these years - LOLing again.

ve

Posts: 3582 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
None here. Too far out.
Love your painted face ve!

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4431 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
No TOT's here either. Too far in the country but I do decorate my back door for my granddaughter who lives down the driveway.

VE, cute picture. You're a pretty lady with or without a painted face Smile

Posts: 2228 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
thanks Peachy!

ve