Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

frost Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
We are supposed to get our first ki11ing frost tonight and another before warming up again. My brugsmansia is loaded with buds and is/was going to bloom any day. It is planted in the ground this year, so I can't bring it in (did take a cutting though). I covered it with a sheet...what do you think the chances are of it making it through and maybe even bloom?

Posts: 867 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Shook, the sheet will keep the frost off the burg...but your real danger is the temperature. If the plant is sheltered, the sheet should work ok, but still, a freeze is a freeze. Who knows, you might get lucky.

We had our first ki-ll-ing frost last night after several light patchy ones. Temp dropped below freezing overnight and the ground is still white outside. Last night our local forecaster said what I've been saying......on average, our first heavy frost/freeze is Nov 2, so we are about 2 weeks early this year.

ve

Posts: 3640 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
There's different methods to ward off frost and one of the best is if there is a breeze over the plant doesn't let frost touch down to do damage.
Another is as you did, cover with a sheet--and some people dampen it.
Newspapers do the same thing.
Mulching with leaves or
put a garbage can or bushel basket over the plant (if possible)then mound soil around the base.
But be sure to remove it when frost harm has passed.
People who live near large bodies of water might notice that frost doesn't affect them as much as others who live in the interior.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
How's the Brug Shook?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13067 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've never covered mine, but mine are doing their last "show" right now and we shouldn't get a frost for awhile yet.
I have 4 planted in the ground. I still take cuttings...several, just in case. Got one in soil in the garden house & will cut more after this last bloom.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4964 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know how hard a frost, but there was ice on the windshield I had to scape off this morning. And they're calling for possible snow in the north country.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Snow on the bird feeder & rooftops here today!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13067 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Wow, snow already!

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
Well, we had a frost, not a hard one, though, and the brug made it through. I think it is too cold for it to bloom, though. There are literally probably 100 pendulous buds ready to bloom and I'll probably never see them open. I don't know why I waste my time with this plant. I bring it in every year, baby it, and try out different locations trying to get it to bloom before frost. I thought this was the year...we'll see. Fingers crossed!

Posts: 867 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Shook, does it die back in the winter even inside and regrow like mine do that are planted outside?
Mine is just finishing it's 3rd or 4th go-round of blooms. And they did open even though we are MUCH colder than normal here. They just aren't lasting as long though. Normally the blooms would last for about 3 days but they are starting to fade on the second day now...and I had well over 100 blooms on my big one this time.

Location...full sun up there where you are and FEED it and WATER it LOTS. That should bring on the blooms. They are both food & water hogs.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4964 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post