Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Tomatoes done for the year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomatoes done for the year Sign In/Join 
Picture of NYlady
posted
Decided to pick off all the tomatoes and yank out thep plants yesterday.. Mr.Squirrel thought he'd come and help himself again and I was determined he wasn't getting any. He did manage to get himself tangled up in the bird netting, but I let him loose. He stopped by this a.m., came into the garden and sat and stared at where his breakfast used to be..then he left.. Now I'm left with a lot of green tomatoes.. Guess I'll pickle some of them.

Posts: 3349 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that you can put some in a cool place and let them ripen too!
I've done that in years past and had fresh maters for Thanksgiving. I wrap mine in newspaper & they go under the bed in the guest room...we don't heat it.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I have half a styrofoam cooler full of the green ones.. they'll go in the unheated cellar. I like em for Thanksgiving too.

Posts: 3349 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes growing outside may be done for this season in some places because of the lower temperatures but you could still move some inside and grow them there.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8112 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Since my tomatoes have been gone for awhile, my brother gave me a market basket full of green ones. I have them in a paper bag in the back of the pantry. We will be eating fresh tomatoes for awhile longer anyway.

Too funny about poor Mr. Squirrel.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You gals are way ahead of me! ((thumbs up))

I've tried growing tomatoes both indoors & in my little garden house. They get spindly and don't do a whole lot. Bell peppers, on the other hand, will do great for me!
I had one grape tomato ripen in the garden house last winter...that was the MOST BITTER tomato I've ever tasted....I'll pass....but I may keep some volunteer plants alive in there for a head start next spring...just won't let any of the bloom this time!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Kimm, these plants were at least 6' high. .no way could I bring them inside. I have enough to ripen down the cellar and enough to pickle green.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I am officially "done" with my tomatoes. I picked off the vine a whole slew of tomatoes before they predicted Heavy Rains a couple of weeks ago. They were wrong about the heavy rains, it wasn't as bad at all as they predicted. At any given time I had about 5 or more ripe tomatoes, sometimes even 7. How can you eat so many? I don't can or freeze them. I can just about grow them, period! I am just done with them. I enjoyed watching them all turn from green to red on the vine or in the house. I would have preferred that they ripen in the summer instead of early - mid October! It was a wonderful learning experience and all the advice given to me was absolutely right. You guys (gals) are so knowledgable, why should I go anywhere else for info??! I look forward to planting some Cherry tomatoes and staking all my 'maters early in the season and be more organized next year. I will definitely do some winter sowing of tomato seeds! I love gardening!

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post