Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  day lily question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

day lily question Sign In/Join 
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted
Quite some time ago on tv a lady who raised day lilies said she snapped off the spent blooms each day - big task as she had so many. So I do this too. But does it really encourage longer blooming? Do you all do this too?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
SSTR - I do it too when I have time, but to me it's more to tidy up the look vs. promoting more blooms. If you'll notice, on each bloom scape, there are x number of buds. Once those are gone, end of blooms, period.

So, in my opinion, that doesn't prolong bloom time, it is just a question of neatness.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I do not remove every spent bloom but try to remove the scape once it starts to get seed pods. I think this encourages the rebloomers to keep blooming.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i'm learning a lot here. i do remove spent blossoms to clean up the plant(s). was about to cut back the scapes that are done, for the same reason, but now think i'll leave them be and let them reseed and see what develops.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removing the flowers just makes the plant look neater. If pods form,the seeds in the pods will have to be soaked and refrigerated. The entire process can be found online. Also, it is very important to note that the seeds may not produce flowers that are anything like the parent plant. After all, who knows which plant supplied the pollen. The only way to increase a particular variety is by division. Of course, you could always try to replicate the original cross--if you know the parent plants etc, but really who has time to do all of this? I don't have the time and I collect daylilies--I have 50-60 different kinds. Some of my friends in my daylily club are really into doing this but it takes time. Then there are the hybridizers in my group who are professionals--they have large beds where they try out their ideas. The best advice I can give you is to visit a local display garden which will have daylilies that do well in your area--gardens are listed on the American Daylily Society website. See if you can visit any hybridizers--they usually love to show you their plants. You don't have to buy the newest and sometimes they will sell you clumps for very little. That's how I started. Owie, my true rebloomers, like Apricot Sparkles, don't need to be cleaned up, they just rebloom on their own. Some rebloom when the conditions are right--temperature, rainfall etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also clip spent flowers just to tidy up....

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't always bother with the spent blooms. However, I do cut back the scapes as each finishes (when there is time) while they are still green. It seems to make my re-bloomers have another round quicker than just letting them dry out. I have also had some that aren't supposed to be re-bloomers...have a second or third round. It may be due to weather conditions, but it doesn't seem to happen if I don't cut those back.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karen, I think the warmer climes are more likely to rebloom as I have never had one do so here.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I agree, I do it too to tidy up the plant. I'll be trailing my DH down the sidewalk to the car, snapping off spent blooms as I go (lol).

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post