Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Woodpecker problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodpecker problem Sign In/Join 
Picture of sybilj
posted
I recently discovered a hole in our siding from a woodpecker. We've had one hole repaired before and now he's decided to dine on our siding again .. Any suggestions to getting rid of him without scaring the other birds?

Thanks

Posts: 65 | Location: usa | Registered: Jan 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
one hole?.... makes me doubt it's a woodpecker.... sounds more like a carpenter bee..... is it facing you or under the overhang of the siding?... is the siding wood?... is it perfectly round and about the size you could stick your thumb into?...if so, it's the bee, not the bird....

bird damage.... they're usually after the larvae of the bees!!.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/wp_about/damage.html

carpenter bee...

http://www.buffaloexterminatin...pests-carpenter-bees

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toots,

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Other than applying a bird repellant there's not much you can do to deter a woodpecker from the siding.
The bird might be just drumming---attracting a mate and in the process doing the damage.
The most common and easiest deterrent is to place a bird of prey near where he's pecking.
Moving , say....a plastic owl or hawk, will do the trick for a few days until Of course, like in the garden, the predator soon learns that silly looking thing is no danger and resumes its work.
I suppose something that his taste buds might be interfered with such as spraying soap on the siding might change his ways. But, again, that's only a stop-gap until the next rain cleans the siding.

They advise giving the bird a food source in another area will stop his damaging the siding.
Suet might be tried, hang it from a post or branch nearby. You don't want to scare the bird by threatening his safety but a spray of water, if you can catch him, might dissuade him until the next time.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
we had a wood siding on a previous house with wood that was infested with bugs. Supposedly, the builder didn't know it.
In early morning when the sun shone on it, the woodpeckers would peck tiny holes across a straight line where the seems were. It was suggested that it be treated for bugs or vinyl side over it. We did the later. I don't remember much of a problem after that.

Would there be any way that there are bugs beyond the siding? The suns heats up and activates the bugs which the woodpeckers can detect. Frown All I had to do was bang on the wall inside the house and the vibration chased the bird away. But then the little twerp flew around to another side later in the day when that side heated up and started pecking there.

It was always in the early spring or early fall that we had them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
No suggestions on how to remedy the problem, but I'm grateful for a woodpecker pecking on the side of my house. When I went to investigate what he was so attracted to, I found a long crack in the mortar between a couple of rows of bricks. So, called in a brick mason to replace the mortar and go over the whole house to see any other cracks existed that needed to be fixed.

We would never have noticed the crack otherwise and who knows what kind of problems could have resulted either from moisture or vermin.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6209 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You could always put out a suet block close to where (s)he is pecking & feed them instead of trying to chase it away.

But if I were sure it was a woodpecker, I would be inspecting for bugs/insects of some kind or other.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
exactly what Ga Karen said...put out some suet feeders...and yes, if they are pecking you might have some infestation of insect...termites even....black carpenter ants...etc.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I am sorry you are having this problem. I am actually making suet to encourage the woodpeckers. Never have I heard of a woodpecker on a house without there being insects. Before you call the repairman, have someone inspect for bugs.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 416 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Woodpeckers drum in the spring to establish territory and attract mates, not always for food. So, you don't necessarily have insects in your siding. A couple of different seasons, there was one who chose the gutter outside our bedroom window to drum on. I solved it by banging on the windowframe which startled him enough to eventually leave the gutter alone.

There are a few ideas for deterring them on this webpage:
http://www.massaudubon.org/Nat...ds:%20Behavior&id=19

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4342 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my aunt and uncle had a woodpecker do over $1000 worth of damage to their siding. technically, over a certain $ amount of damage, it legally turns into a pest and you can kill it. being the only hunter in my family, they called me over. now, i am a hunter, but i take no pleasure in the un-needed killing of animals. instead, i brought over my airsoft pistol (it shoots plastic BBs at a relatively slow velocity in case you're not familiar). like your little friend, this woodpecker would only drill at sunrise and sunset. so i sat by the side of the house quietly until i heard it going. then i'd sneak up behind it and shoot it with the pistol. the plastic BB does little more than irritate it. after a few times, it stopped for the day. I taught my cousin to do it and he continued whenever he heard it going on. after a few times, the woodpecker found somewhere else to drill its holes.

same thing worked on an albino squirrel that kept breaking our birdfeeders.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sybilj
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Upon further inspection the holes are circles and now we're thinking carpenter bees.

Posts: 65 | Location: usa | Registered: Jan 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We actually saw the woodpecker on the corner of our house creating the holes! Very pesky problem! Hope you're able to get this straightened out. DH believes by siding the house....the woodpecker will leave our home alone. True/untrue?

Posts: 5048 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
trish - it did for us!

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
We actually saw the woodpecker on the corner of our house creating the holes! Very pesky problem! Hope you're able to get this straightened out. DH believes by siding the house....the woodpecker will leave our home alone. True/untrue?

Most of the time it works, but they may still peck at the siding from time to time. We have one pileated woodpecker that likes to peck the electrical transformer that's on the pole at the front of our property! He is LOUD on that thing!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post