Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Did an OPPSSSSS today!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did an OPPSSSSS today! Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
I went to the garden house to switch out my lights...turn off the heat lamp bulb and go back to my 100W bulb.
So as normal, I also got side tracked after that was done and decided to plant some more seeds!
Planted 3 more kinds of tomatoes, some pigeon peas, some rhubarb and then decided I would also plant some seeds from that ornamental pepper I collected at VE's last fall. I had just cut open the pepper and let it dry out so I had to pry out the seeds to plant them.

And then............................

I touched my mouth for some reason with my finger! OMG...those peppers are HOT that way. My mouth burned for several hours even after coming in & washing with soap & water!
Bet I don't do that ever again! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4957 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Oh my those hot peppers sure can burn. Luckily for my husband I read the sign at the grocery store because I almost bought habanero peppers instead of mini bell peppers that he adds to his egg whites for breakfast. Although habanero peppers sure should would help him wake up in a hurry.

Water is only going make the burning worse. Try drinking some milk next time, that's what the Mexicans tell me works. If you can't drink milk or eat yoghurt try something else acidic such as lemonade, orange juice or tomato juice. I think dairy works best because of the casein and fat in dairy helps in addition to the acidity so that is my first choice.

Where are you getting 100 watt light bulbs, did you stock up before the phase out. I have some sitting unused in a closet because our electric rates went up and we still have more rate hikes coming down the pike.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
OOooooo you poor thing. That's just what I was going to suggest, try milk, sour cream, ice cream...

I'm with still tryin, too. 100 watt bulbs? How the heck do you find those? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7844 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
At least all you touched was your mouth. DH has not been that lucky. LOL!

Posts: 10424 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I once rubbed my eyes!!!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13041 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I wear latex gloves when I prepare the hot peppers.. my family loves them pickled. Did them once without the gloves and my hands burned for hours. Ice cream works on a mouth burn too.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
ooooooooooh OOPS indeed Karen. I did not know that those ornamental peppers were hot. Someone did tell me they were edible, but I've never tried them. I hope you don't have a mouthful of blisters this morning. Thanks for the warning.

Muddy, bless your heart on the eyes. How on earth did you stop the burning? Patty, how did your DH stop the burning?

I wear latex gloves when preparing jalapenos for freezing or canning...and yes, I knew about the milk too. Ice cream sounds better Smile

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3608 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I found out that the soap/water didn't work very well. But it did lesson it a bit so it was tolerable....and it finally went away.
I'll remember that milk/ice cream thing though, good advice!

I had never tried to eat any of the ornamental ones either and it had been years since I'd had any growing and back then I only planted some commercial seeds I'd gotten.
Any way, lesson learned!

Muddy, you poor thing! I can't imagine getting that stuff in my eyes. And I guess that is what Patty's DH did too? Poor fella!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4957 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Giant hugs coming your way.

Posts: 4948 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
Plain white vinegar will take the burn out of your hands.I learned that while making jalepeno jelly

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1649 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, good ol' vinegar. Will remember that one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7844 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post