Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milkweed Sign In/Join 
posted
Does anyone grow any of the five/six varieties? Have just the common one but am looking into getting seeds for some of the others. Found a new one-variegata. But am not sure it's really zone hardy to 5B.....

Posts: 658 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
I grow the orange one. It's flowering now for the 2nd time, that has never happened before.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4384 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yah, I forgot I 've got the tuberosa, too. Also have one plant with a second flowering. Maybe they have to be older plants.? But not any other the other three/four. Just trying to give those monarchs a little help....

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I have the orange one too, but no blooms this year. I think our weather has messed it up and I hope it makes to next year. But I seldom get any seeds...and the ones I've gotten weren't viable.

However, if anyone who has regular old milk weed...farm weed milk weed, I would LOVE some seeds. All the farmers around here have killed them all!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4326 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
karen, i'd be more than happy to send you SOME!
I have your addy, so expect them in the mail, soon! well, you know how snail mail is, they don't call it sail mail cause it's fast!
It's the regular orange one, is that what you want?

Posts: 3140 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I guess I never really thought of it but do not remember the blooms. All I remember is the stringy pod that opens up afterwards. Will have to go goggle it.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Barb, I'll take the orange one as mine seems to have gotten hit with some kind of mold/mildew this year, but I was really talking about the kind that grows in the fields, or used to, further north. I know I used to see it once in awhile down here too when I first moved down, but with all the chemicals the farmers spray, I haven't seen any for a bunch of years now.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...t=milkweed&FORM=IGRE

The 4th row down the 3rd & 5th pictures is what I was talking about....just plain common old milk weed that can grow 3-5' tall.

Someone sent me seeds of pink & white milkweed like the orange ones several years ago. They didn't come back this year either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4326 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Didn't know there were ten kinds! Probably not all zone hardy here anyway. And wouldn't have that much room either. Thanks, Karen.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
We grow common pink, swamp pink, ballerina(white), and butterfly weed(orange and yellow. I was happy to discover that a severe cutting back on the butterfly weed that got enormous provided a full rebound for fresh growth for our pillars. The white ballerina came up from seeds we got at ACO....it is a bit shorter than it's pink relation but I really like the variety. Unfortunately this year my backyard fence neighbor sprayed her yard for ticks/fleas and pretty certain it contained BT which is systematic and made my entire butterfly garden along her fence poison for our pillars. Monarchs are my FAV so I am rather bummed after 5 years of success...oh well I plan to talk with her and try try again next year. An expert told me the winter should do it in.

But my *****ly ash and rue and spicebush gave us a nice bumpercrop of giants and spicebush pillars! And some black swallowtails to boot...their host plants are away from the back and no probs there.

I just went and clipped my seed heads as I have a ton of milkweed and didn't think my neighbors would appreciate 1000 plants coming up all over!! Big Grin

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7305 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oh and I am in Michigan...it all dies back and returns everyear mostly from root system but a few seeds do escape me. Wink

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7305 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post