Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  High Cost of "Celery" ~ Why???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Cost of "Celery" ~ Why??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Wavy
posted
Last week I noticed the price of celery was $2.79!!! That was unbelievable. It normally costs about $1.79. Sometimes a little bit more, sometimes less than that. I thought $2.79 was a lot so I didn't buy it 'yet'. I want to check out two other stores where I live to compare the prices there first. (I like celery for my tuna fish sandwiches!)
How much does your celery cost? Why the big jump in price?? I will buy it eventually, I just was shocked at the price increase from the week before....

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
wavy, sorry your are up in arms about the price of celery...I don't buy it very often.....but I know everything is going sky high. I like it in soups.....and in small doses in my tunafish sammys.................someone will surely come along and feel the celery pain my dirt buddy!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Try another market the one you went to is price gouging. Celery traded slightly higher but not enough to justify that high of a price jump. I checked a store that delivers and their price is a $1.99. I don't even shop there because they have higher prices than the other chain stores. I just paid $2.99 for 2.5 lbs of celery sticks and I thought I over-paid. It's National Celery Month, maybe your store thought everyone was going to go crazy for celery.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2.79 for what size package? The stores we frequent usually have two size packages and while the smaller of the two is really more expensive, half as much for 3/4 the price, the waste would be excessive with the larger size.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8111 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone out there buy organic celery?

Posts: 655 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I usually pay $1.25 for a nice size stalk. If I get to the farmers' market I can often get it for $1.00. I always have celery on hand.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmchab:
Does anyone out there buy organic celery?

I try to buy Organic celery or any other vegetable as long as the price is not "excessively" higher or the look/quality is less than the non-organic. It can certainly vary from week to week and store to store.

My pet peeve is organic lettuce. I can buy great, fresh lettuce in CO at Safeway, but here in NE, the mixed type all has those blasted, bitter Arugula leaves, and it goes bad in a couple of days! I end up sorting through and throwing away half, because it seems to all come with it.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I haven't noticed a difference in celery prices lately. Just the organic is celery & is about 3 times the price as regular. Now & then the store will switch things around a bit & have the organic where the regular stuff was & vice versa. Maybe that's what happened, Wavy, & you paid for the organic when you didn't mean to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Recently heard that you can grow new ones from the cut base.

http://www.thekitchn.com/re-gr...s-or-outdoors-169801

Another how-to for you.

http://chickensintheroad.com/f...s/re-growing-celery/

Wrap the celery in foil to keep it fresh longer too.

BTW: Celery was 2.39 today at the local grocer.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I bought some last week & paid $1.59 & thought that was high....at Walmart.
I've tried growing it from the root cut end, so far no luck past about 6"...they rot.
If I wrap celery in foil, it will spoil faster for me. I put the celery in it's original bag inside one of those produce bags...open end of origingal bag goes to the bottom of the produce bag...it will last for around a month that way for me....if we don't use it first.

I quit buying those already cut salad greens. First they are super expensive and second, they spoil too fast....and they are more likely to have bacterial problems.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
We only have one size celery package and this one is not organic. It is the usual celery I always buy, but was surprised at the price the last 2 weeks. (I didn't buy it, still have a lil left) I usually must have celery for my tuna sammys which I love, so I will check out a couple of other places. This is Celery Month? Who knew (LOL!) and if it is, it should BE ON SALE!!!
I never, ever bought those pre-packaged salad greens. Only because they are so expensive and I would probably eat them up too quickly. (I love salad and if it's already made, that's a BIG plus for me!!!)

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I know the price of food has gone sky high lately but coming from a farming family I always think of the poor farmer. Beleive me they are not getting rich. It is the middle man driving the prices up. I don't know of any little farmer that is rich. Off my soapbox now!!lol sorry

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I agree Owie. Some farmers in our area have had to give it up.

Posts: 10348 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
Wavy, could the area that the local store(s) get the celery from have been hit by winter storms or drought lately, driving up the price to get it this time of year because of decreased availability? Just a thought. It might be worth asking someone in that department if you can find anyone who knows anything about the produce.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4365 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Bumped!!!