Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free Seeds Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
The nigella (Love in a Mist) and both mophead poppy & single lavendar poppy seeds are dry and ready to send to any who are interested. I have about 1/2 cup of nigella seeds. That doesn't sound like a lot but you only need a few to have a good stand. I have a lot of poppy seeds, and will include sowing directions with them, since they tend to be finicky. GaKaren, I have your mophead seeds ready to mail since I already have your address.

Both of these are reseeding annuals. Once bloom time is done, you can pull to make space for other annuals. Be sure and leave a few to drop seeds, or to let dry for next year if you prefer.

To refresh your memories, I'll include pictures. PM me with your snail mail address if you are interested.

Thanks

ve

Nigella with frilly pink iris.

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
and here are the mophead and lavendar poppies.

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Are the poppies annuals...either way I would love to give those a try! You are to kind my dear!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12480 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks for your generous offer, vera. i'd love some nigella but i have zero luck with seeds. can they be sown among my iris at the end of summer or early fall, as if nature did it, and they would come up next year? if that's the case, i would love to try some. will pass on the poppies. they are beautiful but i don't have a spot for them. thanks so much dear heart.

Posts: 3556 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The poppies sound wonderful--can I try a few?

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I have some poppies if you have enough? Please. I'll pm you my addy.

Carlene

Posts: 1395 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, Vera, I'd love to have some of all three!! You should have my address but I'll pm you just in case.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
got y'all covered......names & addresses written down. Will get these in the mail this week.

Bana, yes, the nigella seeds should sprout and grow among the iris - that's how mine are because I like the combination.

I generally don't have any luck with seeds, but both of these seem to do well for me. I hope they work for y'all too.

ve

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Hello VE.I just got home from 2 weeks vacationing and 1st thing I see is this.I'd love some seeds of any are left.Let me know if you still have my addy.Smile

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Hi Jackie - I might have it somewhere, but can't put my hands on it. Send me a pm again please. I'll put you on the mailing list.

I hope you had a great vacation.

ve

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
What a nice thing to do. I am hoping to have some seeds to share this fall---pineapple lily also known as Formosa lily and can't think of the other one--it has small orange flowers that have freckles. The pineapple lily looks like an easter lily and gets about 3 feet all. Both are gorgeous. I will need to get the seeds before the birds get them. Oh it is called blackberry lily.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I love this gardening board...

Vera, this is what it's all about...all of you..this is what it is all about. Time and time again I see sharing and friendship...cyber friendship abundant indeed. Like the seeds that are swapped and shared. I love my cyber gardening buds. I'm going to be out of pocket for a while...trying to get moved, find a house etc...but you girls stir my heart! hugs to you all for being stellar as a gardening group!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you find a house real soon, Ruby!! Take care.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Hi VE, If you have any left, I'd love some!

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Hey Fluff - send me a PM with your snail mail address. I still have a few left..........do you want both the nigella and poppy, or just poppy?

Ruby - I hope you find a house soon...please check back in when you are settled so we'll know that you are well and happy. thanks for the kind words too.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
your seeds came today. thank you so much. they are going to look great with the iris. i'll do like you say.. scratch up the soil then scatter seeds and press them down w/o covering them. will wait till the fall like your instructions suggest. do you have to keep the soil moist till they germinate?

Posts: 3556 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
your seeds came today! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
the card is beautiful and thank you soooo much for the sowing instructions, i'll need them.
I'll be sure to post pics of the poppies next spring!

Posts: 3155 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Sending you a P.M. Thank you.

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Barb & Bana - you're welcome.......I just hope you all get good germination from them. Here, both are like weeds...I always leave a few for reseeding themselves.

Bana - since I sow in the fall, I never keep watered..normally the winter moisture is enough. With your climate, I'm not sure how to answer you......I'd say, if you don't get sufficient rainfall during your winter months, then come early spring you probably should water. Frost won't hurt them, but you don't want them sprouting too early...usually they know what to do and when.

ve

posted Hide Post
Well, I bet mine are in Florida, too. Thanks, VE.

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Vera, I received the seeds. Thank you so much! I'll have a touch of Vera Ellen in my garden next year and I'll think of you!! I've never planted seeds in the fall before so that will be different.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
is it ok to put the nigella in now? or should i wait till the fall.. say september or october? our winter rains should start around then. tx.