Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sunflowers Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm so surprised to get such huge ones!! They are 6+' tall and the heads are 14'across and still growing.
My ? is can I compost the leaves and stalks in the fall? The stalks look like tree trunks Smile.

Thanks

Carlene

Posts: 1758 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
this is an inexperienced guess... yes to the leaves and no to the stalks, unless you have a chipper to break them down.

how about some pictures of your sunflower bed? thanks.

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Why not? Let's see! No squirrels around your new
digs Car? Years ago I got some big ones but no squirrels at all there.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13119 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK you ask for it!! No squirrels here yet.
Just took these. As you can see the tallest one is about 3' over the 6' fence!!
The butterfly bush and crape myrtle were planted last fall. Love it that they bloomed this year.
Thanks for looking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1758 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weird shape!!

Carlene

posted Hide Post
last one

Carlene

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
OHHHHHH Car!!!! Those are HUGE! They can feed your wild birds all winter!

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
oh WOW.. i have never seen sunflowers that huge. elephant size, i'd say. when mine died down, i cut the heads off and left them for the birds. they made short work of picking the seeds out themselves. but then mine were from bird seed. maybe YOU can harves those seeds for your own snacking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wait ....the squirrels are spreading the word
about you right now!!! :>)

posted Hide Post
Muddy don't even go there!!!

Carlene

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
LOL

Picture of Miss mo
posted Hide Post
that is great!

Posts: 280 | Registered: Mar 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Probably a whole row of squirrels behind the
fence ~~just waiting for them to fall!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Here is a pic of ours. We plant them for the birds every year.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Ours must be a different variety. They don't grow near as tall or as big.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH Georgia peach there is nothing prettier than a field of sunflowers. Love driving across Ks. and seeing them.
Are they only for the birds (good for you if you do) or do you sell them for the oil?
I'll be happy to save you some seeds if the birds don't beat me them to all of them.
Not sure how to protect them till they are ripe.
Any ideas folks??
I bought seed that said giant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

posted Hide Post
I've heard to tie a plastic grocery bag over the head.(the seed part) But it seems a brown paper bag would be better.

Posts: 7224 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous.. the darn squirrels got all of mine.. Even had the nerve to carry one seed head up onto the garage roof and eat it .

Posts: 3465 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's to bad. Probably by next yr. we will have them here. They always seem to find the flowers!

Carlene

Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I have seen BIG sunflowers like that only one time and I could not believe it!!! It was like seeing sunflower trees. lol

Posts: 4985 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
WOW, the flowers heads are so huge and heavy even those thick stalks can't hold them up. I would love to try to dry one of them to keep.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7537 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
With a little luck you'll have goldfinch show up & not squirrels. Less destructive.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
that field of sunflowers is awesome! can you see it from inside your house?

posted Hide Post
Love the sunflowers. I have several different varieties blooming. Will have to get pics. I planted some teddy bear ones this year and they are very interesting. None of mine are as big as yours, Silly Bird. I love living in Kansas when all the sunflowers are blooming!

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I went to visit a friend once. Her husband took photographs. He took a gorgeous picture of their daughters in a field of sunflowers. I have always remembered that photo. Smile

Posts: 5235 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Great looking sunflowers SB and GP!

Yes, you can compost both leaves & stalks...just chop them into pieces...I'd do it with a machete and a piece of wood and chop them about 3" long...they will rot!
To protect the heads, do like metoo said...use PAPER bags to tie over the heads...the paper breathes so the heads will dry and the bags will hold any seeds that fall out.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5005 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
How beautiful. You must have sown the Mammoth sunflower seeds. There are several varieties. I love the Mammoth because of the seed heads. I do save the dried heads for wintertime. Just drive a nail into a fence post or anything upright, push the head onto the nail, and instant bird feeder.

Here the goldfinches are already attacking the heads even though they aren't ripe.

Georgia Peach, that is an awesome field of sunflowers. Nothing is prettier!

Posts: 3664 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wow-Wee those are H U G E !!! Must be the Mammoth Russian ones. You will get a lot of seeds if no one steals them first. I tried putting a paper bag and pantyhose on my sunflowers a couple of yrs. ago. The skwirls eventually started to eat holes in the pantyhose I had on the sunflower head. After that I decided to just plant many sunflowers and share with the skwirls because I cannot win with them. I planted branching sunflowers this year for the first time. I love them so much! I will post pics, so far they are all untouched. I had many volunteers under my birdfeeders this year for the first time. About 6 volunteer sunflowers under birdfeeder and another beautiful volunteer somewhere else. So far, the skwirl only knocked down one, by the birdfeeder. I think he was to heavy when he climbed up it and knocked it down. I love sunflowers!!!
That meadow of rows of Sunflowers is absolutely stunning!!! It looks like a photo in a magazine. You actually planted all those sunflowers yourself? OMG!!!(I wish sunflowers were Perennials!)

Posts: 2527 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have a wildlife management area that grows a huge patch of sunflower seeds. They ARE gorgeous!

Posts: 5235 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post