Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vera Ellen Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
Should I clip & soak the moon flower seeds?

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Hey Patty...I'm Not Vera and hope y'all don't mind my butting in Smile...but I started moonflowers last spring from seed. I didn't soak mine. I just popped them into the starter tray and kept them moist. I also put the plastic bin over my starter trays. I got nice strong plants!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I am just going to put them in ground & cross my fingers! So I may need to prepare them first. I don't do well with those starter trays. The plants get leggy & look awful. No green thumb here.

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
that sounds like a good plan too...but why not put one seed in any kind of container and see if it germinates...then if the ones that you direct sow poop out, you'll possibly have one back up?!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't mind me butting in but I just did some of these moonflower seeds. I put three seeds in a pot of soil that I soaked overnight. No clipping. All three sprouted.

There is also a youtube I watched where the lady wrapped the seeds in a wet coffee filter and let them germinate in a baggie.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Sorry Patty - I have been bizzy - garden club, errands, momma dr. appointment......I see you got some good advice already. I really liked the idea of wrapping the seeds in a wet coffee filter...but I'm always afraid I'll break off the little seed sprout when I try to plant them.

So yes, I soak mine overnight.......and I do NOT clip the seeds. They are difficult to hold and snip (for me). My germination might not be as fast by soaking, but it works. You don't need to put them in the ground (here) until the soil is very warm anyway. They simply do not germinate in cold soil or cold weather if direct sown. Once they germinate and start growing, they do grow like weeds.

ve

Posts: 3230 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank ya'll.

Guess I will wait several more weeks as it is still getting cool here at nite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I just bought some seeds today.
I did seeds last year, but I was super late getting them and then setting them out...they didn't do much as we got too hot too fast.
So mine will go right into little pots of soil tomorrow in the garden house.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4387 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post