Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  ga.karen - cuttings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ga.karen - cuttings Sign In/Join 
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted
hi, ga.karen, in another post you mentioned that you have had good luck with cuttings from butterfly bushes. How is this done? Some cuttings can be placed directly into the soil, can these be done that way? And how much of the branch do you use? Oh, and what time of year is preferable, springtime?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Not GaKaren...but I have had success doing them like you do forysthia and wygelia...by sticking a bare stem in the ground in February. You could also stick your stems into pots until rooted, then transplant. Remember, not all the sticks will root, so do several. I've found that the white flowering do better than the deep purples...although that might be me. I've tried sticks from a friends red one with no success.

I used a small branch about 5 or 6 inches tall and about the size of a pencil.

Karen is such a great gardener, she will probably have some great tips for you when she gets on here.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm not any better gardener than most of the folks on this board. I just keep trying stuff and playing with things.

I've had success starting them at all times of the year AS LONG AS what I am using is new growth...just starting to harden into woody stems. Cut them off just below a "node" and scrape a little hide off the bark...dip in rooting hormone & stick it in dirt or a pot.
And like VE said, do several as some just won't root no matter what you do.
Last year I stuck about a dz. into an empty pot that had soil...without doing anything to them. They were outside, in the spring with afternoon shade. About half of them rooted, but I'd probably never get that to happen again if I tried.
And mine are deep purple.... Razz I've never tried a white, I don't know anyone around here with white.

I forgot to add to keep them moist but not wet until you see new growth coming out.

VE, have you ever tried putting a glass canning jar over yours (if they are in the ground outside) to create a mini "hot house"? I know some old timers did that with things they stuck in the ground. Just make sure the jar doesn't touch the stick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Karen, I've not tried the jar method on b'fly bushes, but have had minimal success with roses by doing that. I might play around with my Black Knight and see if I can get a few cuttings to root doing that...not that I NEED anymore b'fly bushes. It would just be fun to experiment with.

ve

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yep, and you could always donate them to your groups plant sale.

I have a fairly busy road on most Sundays as there are churches both directions. I put a "FREE" sign out & write under it what the plant is & what it needs (sun/shade). I do that while church is going on and by early afternoon...all the plants are gone! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
ga.karen - what a cool idea with your free plants for passer byers. Vera and g.karen, I'm going to try to do this with my white bush up in Kansas.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
SSTR, if you have an old half gallon, glass canning jar or can get one (qt. might work too), try both ways & see what happens.
We don't know until we try! Big Grin