Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  plant id please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

plant id please Sign In/Join 
posted
I got this from a lady at a garage sale. Should I plant it in dirt now? Is there roots on it now?
I've got 2 pics I'll post thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1767 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another. Are this black things roots? It's in water. Sorry to sound so dumb! Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1767 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like a Rex Begonia I think. But I know it is of the Begonia family. Don't know bout the root stuff.

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1063 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
http://www.bing.com/images/sea...ex+begonia&FORM=IGRE

I can't see well enough in the pic to tell if those are roots or not...maybe someone else can tell.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5029 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
It is a begonia, but I don't think those are roots. The way to propagate a begonia is to take the leaf & pot it up in vermiculite or similar, moisten it & cover it with a plastic bag. It will take a while to root, but I've done this with mine. You may want to google the instructions. Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7853 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Carlene

posted Hide Post
thanks I took it out of the water. Hope it's not rotted. If so I'll see the lady today (she's giving me canna bulbs!) I'll ask for another start!

Carlene

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
It is a rex begonia...I have a couple of those, one is similar in coloring to yours. Not to dispute mgt, but it will root in water. The roots will be tiny white hair looking things. The stems are naturally p-ri-c-k-ly looking, so I don't think from your picture that it has rooted yet. You can also do it like mgt suggested...either way takes a little while.

Scheesch, apparently you cannot type p-ri-c-k-ly either!

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3675 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I think those fine, longer thread-like things are roots. There are several ways to propagate begonias, this site tells how: http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I really like your info Lucky

Carlene

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
LOL ve...no you can't type that either. Big Grin

I've only propagated from leaf cuttings...so thanks also ve. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7853 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post