Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Taking suggestions/advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking suggestions/advice Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I'm having a heck of a time keeping plants growing around this fountain. How would you design this area?

Behind the fountain, I have young astibes and columbines (newly planted this week). To the left, in front of the porch, are boxwoods, with a couple of lamium plants that made it thru the winter. Wave Petunias in front of the ledge behind spireas.

Those are weedy dianthus by the sidewalk edge. Thinking of taking them out as they are a disappointment. But what to put in there as a replacement? Gets full sun there.
This whole area faces northeast.

Would really appreciate any and all suggestions for this area. It's in partial shade and the soil tends to be on the dry side. zone 4
I was thinking heurcheras? or tiarellas? But what color/variety? I saw Solar Eclipse but the nursery only had one. Can you imagine? Frown
https://www.google.com/search?...sAQ&biw=1024&bih=601

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
I thought heucheras and tiarellas were mostly shade plants. Or is that only in the hotter zones? If they can take the sun in your zone, they would look good there.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
i agree with Luv. I thought that heucheras and tiarellas are shade plants, but i am zone 7 and my heucheras are in the shade and they do look good.
this pic was taken in early spring. i have two very mature sweet gums and they are in total shade now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3196 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
These are a couple types of Dolce heucheras (Peach Melba and Creme Brule). I picked up a few to play with for the front yard a few weeks ago. The lady at the nursery (the expert on staff) said if they get more sun, they will have brighter colors. She didn't think I would have any problems putting them out in the mostly sun front yard. I picked up what I needed for the rest of the yard the other day. The difference is pretty noticeable. I doubt if the summer sun in zone 4 would be strong enough to harm them. I looked on the tag when I was out taking photos and it did say shade to part shade, but they did great in our zone 7 full sun before they were planted. I think they'd be fine for you wherever you wanted to plant them.

These are the Peach Melbas

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Both types have a very noticeable color difference depending on their lighting conditions. The nursery had the ones I picked up the other day under a solid roof close to the door where they got no sun at all. They didn't even look like the same variety of plant.

The Creme Brules

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of those plants do well here in semi shade. You are much further north so they might work for you. Have you considered daylilies or irises? There are also some hostas that do better in partial sun, if the heucheras work those hosta would work too.

Posts: 3177 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
You could consider annuals there for a couple years & enrich soil for something more permanent.
Something low growing won't hide your focal point.
Wave petunias would be sensational there. I love the coral bells & used to have so many types but they died out.(and actually did better in the sun with the exception of purple palace) Here is one that remains that was so pretty in my front bed for years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12824 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Bella - thank you for your info. Those look beautiful with the purple.
I've seen pics of the Creme Brule on the net. Interesting to see the different coloring in sun vs shade.

16paws - I looked up more info on those Solar Eclipses. Looks like they can take full sun.
http://www.terranovanurseries....areclipse-p-336.html

I actually saw S.E. at our nursery, but they only had 2. I think I'll need 6-8 to put around the fountain. They were pricey though. Geez. I wonder if I could get them on line anywhere? Are there dependable online sources?

I've just pulled out the daylilies that were around the fountain. Some didn't grow very well, depending on the sun/shade exposure. They didn't look nice. And they grew too big for the area. I think I need something lower so they complement the boxwoods.

Keep the ideas coming...

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Muddy, I have waves in the front of the area now.
And you might be right about enriching the soil. Would would you suggest? We don't have our own compost bin. And the stuff we get from the county is c.r.a.p. Just mulched up branches that's like dried up chunks. That's what we used in there and it's pretty dry.