Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  I had robins today....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had robins today.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
Which means 2 things....
I only get them when they start their migration north, so they are on the move. And yes, I know, some over winter up north but some migrate south too.

The second thing is that they are finding enough worms in my yard to hang around ALL day! So that means my soil is slowly improving! Yipppeee!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4802 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Yay for you. We've had robins for several days now...they will show up, then move on. I usually find them about a mile away in the neighbors yard - hehee.

Here's a picture I snapped just yesterday.

ve

Posts: 3542 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
We have robins here in Ohio now. I love seeing them, but I feel sorry for them. We have snow everywhere and zero temperatures. Our highs are in the teens. Marylee

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No robins sighted here as yet. Still have junco's little foot prints all over the snow. Can hardly wait to see a robin......

Posts: 865 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
How exciting for all of you that are seeing them,great picture vera ellen

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We saw robins in north George a couple of weeks ago. We've had them here in our yard, of course. The chickadees and titmice are starting to sing. My birding friend said the cardinals near her house are starting to sing. I think they're just a tad early, but.....

I'll take any sign of spring I can get!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6549 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They've been here all winter.

Carlene

Posts: 1584 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
The second thing is that they are finding enough worms in my yard to hang around ALL day! So that means my soil is slowly improving! Yipppeee!

I love robins! So wonderful that yours are being well fed! We have always had lots of robins here in early spring and I love to see them return. The last couple of years we've had even more than usual which I take to mean the worms are even more plentiful. As many here know I do trench composting which I believe greatly increases the number of worms.

Hope they don't arrive here for awhile as we still have lots of snow.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
They were back today too. I think it is the same small flock of 8. They stayed all morning & most of the afternoon.

I saw one male bluebird chasing another male away from a female today. Soooo, maybe they are staking out their mates???

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4802 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stand corrected....DH saw six robins this afternoon in a tree across the street. Guess spring is on it's way afterall.

Posts: 865 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yep! Mine were back for the third day this morning, but they left this afternoon...so we shall see if they drop in again or not.
I also had a blue bird checking out one of the blue bird houses this morning...in/out, in/out. Maybe he was trying to get a female to come approve of it??? Big Grin
DH said that he saw the pileated woodpeckers chasing to...the males after the females...and they are calling to each other.

Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
V.E., am loving the photo.

They just fly through here. Never stay. Probably too hot in the summer for them .

Posts: 4891 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We love robins, too!

Can't wait to see them return.

Posts: 5151 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Because we've been outside so much the last few days, I've noticed lots of birdy activity. The chickadees are doing their dance routines, the male cardinals are feeding the females and calling all over, the titmice are calling all over. Blue birds in and out of the house here, too, Karen. Goldfinches are getting color as they pass through.

My hydranges actually has leaf buds coming out!! It's in a protected corner, though, so that may be the reason.

Oh, I see a pair of carolina wrens flitting around a bush out back right now. Wonder if they're looking for a nest spot. I'll go check it out later.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6549 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours stayed here but they are sure cold. Don't know how they make it since it's been extremely cold this year.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I had about 20 of them this morning! I think they may have stopped off here while Atlanta area gets some more nasty stuff. THEN they will be on their way north! Big Grin

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
With all the rain we are getting, the robins are having a hay-day out there. The wet ground must be driving the worms up!
We have puddles all over, but at least it isn't white or slippery!

Hope everyone is staying warm & safe and doesn't lose their power! ((hugs))