Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birds Sign In/Join 
Picture of flboy
posted
This morning we had a beautiful bird in the yard. She had a weird bill and her colors were a peachy pink and when she flew around the pond her wings were colored a very deep pink. My Dh looked the bird up and she is called a Rosea Spoon Bill. He did get a picture and if we can we will post it later.

html

Posts: 2527 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the pic.

Carlene

Posts: 1758 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Roseate spoonbills are indeed odd looking at first but they are so gorgeous, particularly in their breeding plumage when there's orange on them to go with all that pink and white. I'd think you would see them frequently there in Sarasota.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6752 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Nope, this bird is a first. We do get green parrots, bald eagles, and a variety of cranes and ducks. There are beautiful birds here in Sarasota. The birds here haven't any fear of humans either.

html

Posts: 2527 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Oh I hope I get to see one! I've seen many new visitors in our ponds the last 11 years, it would be wonderful to spot one of those!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7540 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
This is interesting! I took these pics last August of a bird and DH and I thought it might be a flamingo. Do you think it is a Rosea Spoon Bill? Sorry for the picture quality. I took these with my camera phone.

1 of 3 Pictures

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Pic 2

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
and Pic 3

ETA....have been reading about this unique bird and looking at pictures. I believe it is a Roseate Spoonbill.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Definitely is a roseate spoonbill. Their beak does look spoonlike.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6752 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Oh are they ever pretty! I want pink birds in my garden! LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13120 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you FFG. DH and I haven't seen another one but according to the Georgia DNR the sightings have increased along the Georgia coastline. Apparently they were nearly wiped out in the late 1800's. Interesting bird!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
That is the bird and when it flew over the pond the colors on the open wings were a very deep pink. My Dh tried to get the picture uploaded for me but the size from his camera was too big and we had no idea how to down size it. HMMM, just like around here.

html

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, Thank you so much for the pictures.

html

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Flboy, if you need help posting pics just ask away. I'll try to help and if I don't have the answer someone here surely will. I would love to see your picture.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Catch one for me & ship to Ohio! LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13120 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I would have thought it was a funky flamingo! Cool!

Posts: 3280 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Georgia Peach, My DH put the picture in our email file folder and when we opened it, it was huge. We have to learn how to downsize it and how to get it moved over to the Message board to post. I did look up the directions from HGTV but I couldn't find all of the points to do this. I must say the pictures on here are clearer and great. We only have one spoonbill here and I hope she stays for awhile. There is a canal at the end of the pond and she hangs out there when the cranes are gone for a walk.

html

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Flboy

Are you familiar with the Paint Program? Open Paint, choose resize, choose pixels, type 640 in the Horizontal Box and the vertical box will automatically resize to 416. Save it. Here in your post a reply box click add attachment and find your pic in your e-mail file and click open. This will add it to your post. Click Post Now and it should be added to your reply.

Hope this helps. If you do not use paint just let me know the program you do use. I'll try to walk you through it.

GP

If anyone can help me out with a better explanation please do.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
OMG, that is waaaaaaay COOL!!! Love it!!Smile

Posts: 2527 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Posts: 4985 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post