Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  So who got hit with what kind....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So who got hit with what kind.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
of weather?

I sure hope everyone still has power and is safe & warm!

We got a lot of rain, I haven't checked the gauge yet. And we even got a few minutes of sleet, but it melted as soon as it hit.
We are at 38º and WINDY! It feels really cold out there to me! Just not used to the cold anymore!
We started the fireplace again this morning, it helps!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got no rain or snow. Wind has died some. It was only 21 this am but it's 47 at 4pm. so not bad supposed to be in the 60's the rest of the week.
Could spring be close???
Hope everyone that is getting slammed is safe and warm.

Carlene

Posts: 1623 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not expecting anything till tomorrow early a.m.
They are predicting 6-12. You southerners be careful...sounds like you're going to get nailed again. What a winter....

Posts: 887 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Below zero temps Tuesday...we're on a run water alert so our pipes don't freeze. Such cold temps for such a long time, the ground is freezing about 5 feet down...very unusual so we have to keep the water running. today in the 20s.

I hope somebody's warm. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7821 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Unusually cold for west Texas and for several weeks now. I hope it ends soon with March coming in.

Posts: 4905 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We had rain most of the night last night but only drizzles today. Breezy, very gray and just chlly outside. We're at about 44 degrees and expect it to go only a bit lower. Tomorrow supposed to have sunshine and I can't wait!!

Hope the rest of you stay warm and safe.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We got over 3" of rain & it is still raining off/on. We never got over 39º today.
They keep changing our forecast...so I'm giving up on that...we will get what we get!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
We got about 3". Not as much as they predicted. But we do have ice. Schools are closed.

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wonder how Toots is doing?

Thanks for the update Patty!
I think LuvRPups may be without power. They had a LOT of ice the last time I heard from her...and I think she is in the area near Ga./S.C. border.

Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Snow started about 3 a.m. Now snowing sideways. Must be 4 or more inches. Around 11 its supposed to turn to rain, and then this evening back to snow. What a mess!! I really detest this stuff.

Posts: 3421 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It was below zero yesterday morning. We have a few inches of snow on the ground now (fresh) and it is coming down hard. We are predicted to get over 8 inches. Ugh....

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
It's a mess here in Northern NJ. The snow and wind are blowing so hard, you can't even see out the window. I think they are predicting at least 10" of snow. This is our 5th storm in a month. I am so tired of this. Stay safe everyone.

Posts: 176 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Started snowing at midnight and was snowing like crazy (huge snowflakes!) until a little while ago. Got about 6" of snow, not sure. Now it's raining, supposed to turn back to snow. My backyard already had about 6-7" of old snow. My compost bin is almost covered up now. (huge snow drifts!) Unbelievable!!! Some people have lost power here. How did all those in the south make out? I saw all the snow in Georgia. OMG!!!
Only 35 days till spring, if you can believe it........ (rolling eyes)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2428 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
hope you all are safe and hope those w/o power have a pot belly stove so you can stay warm and heat up food.

Posts: 3813 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
We are fine here....our snow started around 4:30 yesterday afternoon..only it was a snow/sleet mix. It was beautiful coming down, thick and fast, with big flakes. Overall we got between 2 and 4 inches, depending on where you were and how the wind was blowing. Needless to say, with a sheet of ice beneath, everything around here is pretty much shut down. At least we didn't lose power, although we did lose the satellite signal last evening.

We are melting fast today...already up to 40 with sunshine. Lots of meltage going on, and 60's by next week. I loved seeing the snow come down, we so rarely get it, but now we've had it, and I'm ready for it to be gone. I just don't know how you more northern folks stand it.

ve

Posts: 3573 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Hope this recent storm in the east is short lived and that everyone stays warm and indoors if possible. Saw pics on the news and the traffic looked dreadful.

This winter has been awful in many places. I think most places in North America have had a worse winter than we have here in BC. Ours has been better than usual with only a couple of periods of real cold and many with temps hovering around freezing plus days of thawing. Lots of sunshine here which makes winter pleasant.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12728 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I hope you are all safe and warm. Feel free to send some of that snow to the Sierra Mountains of California. I'll try and send the 85 degree bone dry weather I have to you.

Posts: 2651 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We got up to 52º today, but we are already back down to 37º tonight, supposed to go down a few more degrees...but then we have a warm up coming and by this time next week...be nearly 80º!

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Live in South Jersey (abt 25 miles South of Philadelphia) we got 5-8" of snow, the real heavy wet stuff, then we got sleet, then we got snow again, then it rained and melted all the snow in the plowed streets and shoveled walks and then we had lightening and thunder. It's now 11:30 PM and waiting for it to start snowing again about now according to weather forecasters. Interesting weather day.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beedeeess:
Live in South Jersey (abt 25 miles South of Philadelphia) we got 5-8" of snow, the real heavy wet stuff, then we got sleet, then we got snow again, then it rained and melted all the snow in the plowed streets and shoveled walks and then we had lightening and thunder. It's now 11:30 PM and waiting for it to start snowing again about now according to weather forecasters. Interesting weather day.

Good grief! About all you had left was getting a sand storm! What a mess!

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
In NC we got around 9" of snow. We never get that much, and it was such a treat for the kids and me! It was so beautiful when it started sticking to the trees. I've been loving it but that's because it's not everyday.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
This has been an epic winter. We are up to 63" so far this winter. It has been snowing non-stop since Thanksgiving! Where is spring?

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I have daffs blooming and the spirea & one honeysuckle have little leaves coming out!
We made it to the mid 50's today and supposed to be mid 60's tomorrow!
It's coming gals, spring that is!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Went to my brother's house today for my niece's wedding. Saw Japanese magnolias bloomed out fully.

A maple in my yard has buds and my hydrangea has leaf buds.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6586 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
The people across the street from me moved in about 2 weeks ago in the middle of a snow storm from North Carolina. I looked at them like they were nuts because of many reasons like weather, cost of living. Then I found out their daughter lives up in NJ and they are getting on in years and wanted to be closer. Well daughter and husband have been over several times to shovel snow.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post