Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Overwintering Container Plants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overwintering Container Plants Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Do you overwinter any container plants?
How do you do it? I've read many different ways to do it so I am confused!
I want to overwinter my container Lavender again this year. Last year I just brought it into the garage, occasionally watered it, but basically ignored it all winter till May. Should I prune it (it looks dried out now) and repot it, or just DEBUG IT. I just brought it inside, but didn't debug it yet. It also has some petunias in the same pot (blooming in the garage!). Should I pull out Petunias or leave them in pot too? THANKS!!

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
What kind of lavender do you have? I have Munstead and am in zone 3 and leave mine in the ground. Don't do anything with it altho it gets some snow cover and most of them survive quite well. I don't think most bugs like lavender so probably wouldn't even debug. I do repot everything in fresh potting soil.

I've never tried to overwinter petunias but since most of then are tender perennials you might try it. I'd trim them back as I do anything I overwinter as they will be stressed and have a better chance to survive if trimmed.

I'm bringing in nothing but my one dahlia which I've already lifted and cleaned and will put it in some sort of soil-less stuff - haven't decided what yet.

I do leave some tender perennials in the ground such as Dusty Miller and snapdragons and most survive. Which reminds me I have to dig in the snaps that are still in my containers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12594 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The only things I bring in are the porch plants..debug them and put them in the sunroom. This year I put two of the gift mandavillas in the ground. Will have to lift those and pot up to bring inside, UNLESS I just decide to leave them out there. I know they won't survive, but I hate stuff that you have to dig up and store over the winter. My other containers are either perennial grasses or annuals....I just turn the pots over on their sides in the off chance that water would collect and freeze the roots.

Rats, I forgot about the container caladiums...will have to lift those and store.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
VE: how do you "debug" planters?

Also, I put my large pot with that annual, green "grassy thriller" in the garage over winter and it grew huge for the following spring. I think I just water it whenever I thought about it. Can't remember the name of it.
- I will take out the mums and Sweet Pot plant - not sure I'll plant the mums.
- can take cuttings from the Sw Pot. They're attracting flies because of that sweet substance they secrete, so won't bring that in - ew!
Here's a pic of that "thriller" I mean- it's pretty big now even, but will get even bigger. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I don't put any plants inside unless we are expecting a freeze. Then they go into the garden house for the night. Luckily, we don't have many of those nights. I think last year there were only a couple. Otherwise, my plants have to contend with whatever mother nature sends! Poor neglected things!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
FFG: Ah, advantages to living in the south! Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Nance, all the anti-insecticide people are gonna kill me when I answer your question, but here goes. I spray the plants down with spider & bug spray...and I mean thoroughly...let them dry for a day or two, then bring them in. I've tried the spraying with water....didn't work for some of those stubborn little spiders and other varmits. This way I'm sure no creatures are living on them when the plants come inside.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
The only plant we have now is a hibiscus which spends the spring/summer outside when weather permits.
Its still outside now but as soon as the temperatures during nighttime get down into the forties, it'll come inside, then back outside during the warm sunny days.

Before we bring it in, I wrap it in a tent of plastic and spray into it a bug spray, then cover it entirely and wait for 24 hours, then examine it for any sign of bugs, if not, then it comes into the house to a sunny window for a couple months before we head off to Florida and it goes to a relative for the winter.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I get the spraying for bugs on the leaves.

What about stuff (eggs) or creepy crawlies that may have gotten into the soil thru drainage holes or something??? Should I repot? I have a mandevila and jasmine I'd like to save. The Jasmine is sitting on top of soil near garage wall. Mandevila just on raised deck floor.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Already got my mandevilla by the upstairs window.
This spot worked for me a few years in a row so keeping my fingers crossed!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I have this sweet potato vine & spider plant in a large pot & already have smaller versions in the house! Just not sure what to do with it before the cold low temps hit! I hate to take to many inside & keep telling myself to cut back on all this. :>(

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
All of mine go into my garden house for the winter. I'm normally able to keep the temp in there at 40º or above with 3 - 100W light bulbs...2 in reflectors.
My asparagus ferns just get pulled up against the house on the front porch. They will look dead & come back in the spring...and they don't get a lot of watering in the winter.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4322 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
So interesting to hear plant care North & South!
This was a $1.50 three inch frost damaged sale potato vine this Spring...but no choice! I cut it all off & put in small pot in my upstairs window! Sure was a beauty & just hate to throw it out!