Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  planter suggestion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

planter suggestion Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
Somewhere in my gardening reading, I learned about a nice way to make patio planters. They should have a 'thriller' for height, a 'filler' for substance, and a 'spiller' for trailing. I have two large planters that I'd like to fill with a combination of 3 things (a variegated ornamental grass 'thriller', and a lavender million bells 'spiller'. I don't know what to use for the 'filler' but I'd like something purple. I was thinking purple coleus, but this will be in full sun. Suggestions?

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I had this list of fillers saved:

Ageratum
Alyssum
Begonia
Celosia
Chrysanthemum
Coleus
Dahlia
Dianthus
Dusty Miller
Euphorbia
Fuchsia
Gazania
Geranium
Gomphrena
Helichrysum
Impatiens
Lantana
Nemesia
New Guineas
Osteospermum
Pentas
Salvia
Torenia
Verbena
Vinca (Flower)
Zinnia

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Your filler is going to be the medium sized plant that will bush out and fill the space between the thriller and the spiller. Depending on your color choices, I'd go with the dusty miller - good contrast with the grass and purple million bells. Another one would be pink begonias. Those New Guineas take sun, although I'm not sure about full sun.

Pentas would be good as would salvia.

Have fun experimenting. I disagree with the alyssum and the ageratum because they trail, so to me they'd be spillers.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions! The grass is a light green with white variegation, so it is light in color. Are there types of coleus that are for sun?

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are sun coleus...you have to look for them specifically when you shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post