Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photos! Sign In/Join 
Picture of zone9alady
posted
Went for a walk over Easter weekend. Each time I find new and strange things going on in the yard.

Found this flower growing by itself on the side of the house, I have no clue what it is.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Another wildflower...I have a bunch of these.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Confederate Jasmine starting to bloom..

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
This is on one of the largest Hickory Trees we have, must be over a hundred years old. The leaves have sprouted along with the "flowers"

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
The Hickory leaves have these weird "balls" all over them, I cut one open and it was hollow.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
first one is Lupine. i don't know the rest but what a discovery treasure to find them.

http://www.google.com/search?q...sAQ&biw=1232&bih=690
yours is in 4th row

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3552 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bana! Wow, how'd that end up in Florida? It's so pretty I wonder if it will put out seed?

I looked up the balls on the Hickory leaves, they are called Galls. This is what it said...

"Pignut Hickory Pests
...... Galls are common on the leaves but cause no real damage"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i recognized it because i had a pink one in my garden years ago. Dave's Garden says they are hardy Zone 4a to 7b. i'm in 9 or 10.. depending on what map i read. so theoretically it shouldn't have grown for me either. i got mine as a nursery plant and figure they wouldn't sell something that wouldn't grow in this zone.

Posts: 3552 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
9aLady, lupine is a native of Florida. It isn't seen everywhere, but it is native. It also has a long tap root and does not like to be meddled with. Yes, it does put out seeds. This one doesn't look like the "lady lupine" that is native and that I've seen around here. It actually looks much like a bluebonnet, but that's a lupine too. Just count yourself lucky!

You can get more info at http://www.wildflower.org/ which is the site for the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, TX.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. We have lots of Lupine here in Colo!
Thanks for the link to the Wildflower center. We're going there next month. Can't wait to see it.

Carlene

Posts: 1383 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Lupines (bluebonnets) in Texas too! This is at my house. Our soil isn't perfect for them - they prefer 'sweet' and we have too many pine trees around. But, I still have a good cover of them and they are just starting to bloom here.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The flowers on the hickory tree. We have two big oak trees that overhang our pool. We call the flower groups "catkins." They make a mess in the pool. Frown

Posts: 16532 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I can just smell that jasmine. Can't wait till mine starts blooming. Those are neat lupines. Such a pretty blue color.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I love lupines, but so do aphids Frown Maybe you have the birds to thank for that.

The galls on the hickory are normal, so I've been told. We have several in front of the house that got them last year. Do yours produce nuts?? Ours seem to every other year.

You have beautiful flowers growing around there. I really love the Jasmine.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies!
I was thinking a migrating bird left the lupine as a present, since that's the first one I've seen in the 10 years we've been here. hehe

We have dozens of Pignut Hickory trees and 3 really huge old ones. The old ones are the ones that produce nuts every year. I tasted them, not bad, but I rather have pecans. The squirrels usually get to them before I do.

"Catkins" that's the word I couldn't think of, thanks Sherry. Smile

Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
What a treat to have a lupine that far south! It's gorgeous!

Those galls aren't the prettiest things but they happen. We had a bunch of hickories at a previous house and saw lots of those, including some that were more like little horns than like little beads like most of yours.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jm
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!

Posts: 859 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I think your 2nd pic is Veronica or Obedient Plant.

I didn't know the Texas Bluebonnet was lupine...I thought it was something totally different that didn't grow in the northern states. Learn something new every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7706 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
gorgeous

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I thought I commented here the other day...must have hit back instead of post...old age! Big Grin

They are all beautiful and lucky you for the lupine! The ones I've tried here just don't make it, but I've always used packaged seeds. I need to find out if that Native Plant nursery in Tallahassee has any of those.
I'd love to have a couple of hickory trees....and I think I know where I might be able to dig a couple up! Hickory nuts are a LOT of work. We used to collect them when I lived in Ill. and crack & shell! But still not as much work as black walnuts!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4352 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
What a nice & productive stroll!!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
z9 - beautiful flowers you got growing there aleady. Love the lupine......never had any luck with them at all....and I didn't know they'd tolerate heat that far south...learn something every day.

You are so far ahead of us.....my c. jasmine won't bloom for another month or so.

Thanks for the stroll.

ve

edited to add: ditto Karen about the black walnuts.......and the stain that comes with them. Lots of peeps around here collect the big hickory nuts and use them instead of pecans. Taste is awesome, but man, that's a lot of picking out nut meats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3208 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you ladies on this board I have learned about most of my plants. Everytime I post a "What's It", somebody on here knows what it is.

Thanks JM, Owie and SSTR!

LuvRPups, I've seen those types too. I guess it was a different kind of bug.

Thanks mgt, I'll look that up. Hmmm, I tried growing them too, years ago. The seed sprouted and I got a plant but it never bloomed. Frown

Vera my jasmine always starts at the end of March and stops the beginning of May. So April smells just divine. LOL!

Karen, we must have hundreds of baby hickory trees sprouting in the woods. The only thing is, you and I will be long gone before those young'ns start producing nuts. Yes and they are hard to crack. I use DH's sledge hammer..LOL!