Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomato Seeds Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Can I plant the tomato seeds from inside the tomatoes I planted this summer? I just thought of it after seeing all the seeds. If I dry them out and then plant the seeds will they grow? Thanks!

Posts: 2551 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wavy, if they are heirloom tomatoes, yes, and the tomatoes will be true to the parent. If they are a hybrid, then I don't know. Usually a hybrid doesn't germinate well, and if they do, aren't true to the variety. Does this help? Do you know if your tomatoes were hybrids or heirlooms?

ve

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I have gotten volunteer plants from the tomatoes that fell off the plant and I missed. They just rotted into the soil. They just sat in the soil over winter and came up next spring. You never know what you'll get. Sometimes the plant is better than what you originally bought. I also cut open one of those "tomatoes on the vine" and found the seeds had already germinated. Got 10 g00d plants from them one year and they were great, pretty true to form. Saved some seeds from my bonus yellow/orange one to plant in the spring.. I love surprises.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are Heirloom, but I doubt it. I found these seeds real cheap in the $1 store and figured 'what have I got to lose'?!! I too, love surprises, so I will save some to plant next year and of course I will "winter sow" them too. As hard to believe as it is, winter sowing was more successful for me than indoor seed starting.
Problem was the name of the plants came off. Where do you get Laundry markers? I could not find them anywhere? I used a Permanent Sharpie and by the spring, the names on the milk containers were faded off. I wasn't sure what was what..... Frown :O

Posts: 2551 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Thank you, all, for this information. I'd like to try this.

Posts: 5026 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
How to save tomato seeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3eS5IyoBX4

Not the only way, but it is what tomato seeds need to have happen.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, I buy grape tomatoes all the time and if some go bad before we get them all eaten I will dry out the whole little mater and plant the whole thing. I get plants that way every year for my small maters. DH eats most of them as he "walks by"...I think he detours so he can steal them...but I do get a few for salads.

Hi Now What...good to see you over here! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5126 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those seeds need to be from fully ripe fruit and then fermented and washed and dried before being stored. Hybrids may revert to the parent stock and heirlooms can cross pollinate and produce a different cultivar.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/d...ticulture/m1226.html

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8189 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimmSr:
Those seeds need to be from fully ripe fruit and then fermented and washed and dried before being stored. Hybrids may revert to the parent stock and heirlooms can cross pollinate and produce a different cultivar.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/d...ticulture/m1226.html

I wonder where those volunteer tomato plants that are currently growing in my garden patch came from since I didn't ferment the seeds, or wash them or dry them...and they were likely from some only partially ripe tomatoes that had stink bug rot in them that I threw on the ground! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5126 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:

Hi Now What...good to see you over here! Big Grin

I pop in semi regular still to see what is going on and lend a few words when it may help.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Lookie who's here! I couldn't get on the new board...I tried a few times! How's your product selling?! Staying away from all the bears? LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13167 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
Hi Muddy. You are a member and definitely a member. Are you going to mynaturalyard.com.

Natural Yard MNF is selling well. Lots of repeat customers with fabulous looking trees, shrubs, flowers and veggies. Thanks for asking.

The bears have been a bit of a nuisance this fall rummaging around town. But nothing we aren't used to. Same with coyotes and fox. Saw my first bald eagle fishing the river just outside of town.

Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Now What:
Hi Muddy. You are a member and definitely registered. Are you going to mynaturalyard.com.

Natural Yard MNF is selling well. Lots of repeat customers with fabulous looking trees, shrubs, flowers and veggies. Thanks for asking.

The bears have been a bit of a nuisance this fall rummaging around town. But nothing we aren't used to. Same with coyotes and fox. Saw my first bald eagle fishing the river just outside of town.

Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hi Muddy. You are a member and definitely registered. Are you going to http://www.mynaturalyard.com.

Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
Hi Muddy. You are a member and definitely registered. Are you going to http://mynaturalyard.com/forum//

posted Hide Post
My mom dried tomato seeds on the counter on a piece of paper towel. She never bothered with all the fermenting and washing and what not. Guess what---she grew beautiful, productive tomatoes from those seeds. I think we sometimes fool around and put a lot of extra steps in doing things. Heck, I get volunteer tomato plants in my garden all the time and I never fermented all the seeds. JMHO

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owie:
My mom dried tomato seeds on the counter on a piece of paper towel. She never bothered with all the fermenting and washing and what not. Guess what---she grew beautiful, productive tomatoes from those seeds. I think we sometimes fool around and put a lot of extra steps in doing things. Heck, I get volunteer tomato plants in my garden all the time and I never fermented all the seeds. JMHO

Big Grin Right!