Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Weed Ki!!ers & Worms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weed Ki!!ers & Worms Sign In/Join 
Picture of Wavy
posted
I think I may have asked this question before, but I don't remember, so I am asking again. Pls. don't laugh!!
I really need to address my pathetic grass area. It is more weeds now than actual grass(a ton of clover now spreading all over, along with dandelions, etc.) It is not a large backyard lawn area. I think we need to spread the weed ki!!er everywhere and then replant grass seeds in selective areas. Is there any way I can protect the worms? (seriously!) After every rain, I have a lot of worms that congregate under my leaf bags, garbage cans, planters, etc. I just collected about 35 worms and put them elsewhere (in compost bin and by my rose plant) I collect maybe 25-50 worms whenever I go out there, depending on when it last rained and when I finally go out) Is there any way to attract the worms and move them elsewhere before applying weed ki!!er to the lawn? I want my worms! THANKS!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
It's great that you have so many worms. I always associate a large worm population with healhty soil. I think I would try to find some way around using a grass killer in the area when your soil is that healthy.

Perhaps try planting a grass or grass blend that suits the area, like a shade blend grass or a shade friendly ground cover if it is shady. I would think that if your soil is that healthy to attract that many worms, that with some time a healthy, suitable grass blend would start to outcompete the weeds once it gets established.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4365 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey, Wavy - coincidentally, I just saw this article that addresses what to do with lawns that have thinned out during the summer from our drought. I also heard to sprinkle up to 1/4" of compost over the lawn, which won't smother the grass.
http://www.postbulletin.com/li...be-53f1cfbf3dfd.html

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Anything we put into or onto our soil that affects it is bound to kill what lives in it but, if you can rescue worms and put them out of harm's way...then I say go for it.
I've done that, in a small way...if I see a worm that's better in some other place, such as the compost, then I'm not adverse to picking it up....much like...I wont pass up picking up a penny.
If its no skin off my nose....then ..why not!

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Not only will a weed/grass killer affect the worms, it will also affect all the little micro organisims that live in the soils...all the good bacterias & molds, etc.

The most general advice for getting rid of weeds is to mow high, at least 3" and often to keep the weeds from putting out seeds.
Clover is a great lawn! It attracts bees & butterflies and is nice to walk on barefooted. It will also improve your soil. Some folks are planting only that for their lawns now and it doesn't usually need to be mowed as often either.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clover is actually beneficial in the lawn, and is not a "weed". The manufacturers and sellers of plant poisons tell you it is so yo won't feel bad about killing if off when you spray their product around.
The best way to control "weeds" growing in the lawn is to grow a good, healthy lawn. The presence of earthworms does indicate a soil with some organic matter which will help hold adequate levels of soil moisture. To know whather your soil is good and healthy however requires taking a good look, Start by contacting you local Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service office about having a good, reliable soil test done for pH, and major nutrient levels and balance. Then dig in with these simple soil tests,
1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains’ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.

to see what else might need to be addressed. During the growing season cut the grass fairly high, 3 to 4 inches, which will encourage growth that will eventually crowd out any unwanted ("weeds") plant growth. That lawn will also need adequate water and that may mean an inch of water per week. more if the weather is very hot and dry, but might not be possible if watering restrictions are placed on you.
Any form of any poison you apply to your lawn or garden can kill off the beneficial critters you do want around, such as those earthworms.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8112 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kimm and everyone else. I went out to feed the birds this morning and just out of curiosity, looked around where I gather the worms after it rains to see I found any. I found 15 small worms! We didn't have any more rain and I found these. I forgot to mention that a few days ago, I found the biggest worm I ever saw in my life, poking out of one of the leaf bags. He went back inside, so I opened the bag to track that worm down. OMG, he was HUGE, about 4" and big & fat This is the 3rd big Steroid worm I found this week. (I call these big worms "steroid worms" to myself!) I will not apply weed killers. I may put cardboard down on the weed areas I want to get rid of. (if I can't dig them out easily) I have tons of CLOVER. I thought the clover was actually prettier than my grass cause my grass only looked good for the few days after it was mowed and watered.....My grass did not get the attention it deserved & needed at all. In any event, I will try and get rid of the weeds WITHOUT using harmful chemicals.(I'll save some Clover, it's all over the place, spreading like crazy) THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post