Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Walking with Willie Again - long post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking with Willie Again - long post Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
Willie and I have been checking out our fall colors...today I remembered the camera. After fearing we'd have a dull fall, we've been pleasantly surprised by the brilliance of the woodland maples, dogwoods, sassafras & hickories.

Come along with us as we stroll over part of the farm.
ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
A beauty berry bush along the fence row

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The lane is covered with beautiful fallen leaves. Check out this sassafras leaf.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Willie checking out the property line gate.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
more color going down the lane

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Willie treed a turtle hiding under a fallen limb. He was so cute jumping up and down and doing his hounddog yodel.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Find Willie - yep, he's picked the turtle up and carried it part of the way. I had a hard time getting him to come on...he wanted to keep his turtle. LOL

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Ridge line from the rise I was on, across a small field.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Treetop color from where I was standing

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Almost home...walk took about an hour....of course that included sniffing time for Willie and some resting time for me..these hills are steep Smile. Looking back down the lane at a pretty maple tree.

I hope you enjoyed the walk.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh, just beautiful! Willie is a trip, give him a scratch for me!
You are right, those hills are STEEP!...little mountains! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, what a lovely walk you and Willie had!!! All on your own property, too. What a lucky girl you are.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh...and the air smells so good. Thank you for taking us along with you!

Willie is cute and his fur is so pretty. What do you feed him?

We are having a late fall. The trees are still green with only a few leaves falling. I hope it stays this way through Nov. and Dec. Even the Mexican petunias and the turks cap shrubs are still green with a few blooms. The day lilies are still green, but no more blooms.

Ahhhhh, life is good.

Posts: 4763 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Love it. The fall colors are vibrant this year.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
beautiful walk.. thanks for bringing us alone. oh, and Hi Willie. give him an extra hug from his auntie bana.

Posts: 3534 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the walk this morning! what beautiful country you live in!!
Willie is the cutiest!

Carlene

Posts: 1371 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!! Willie is so cute, but next time please take a pic of the TURTLE too!!!
Do you see any other animals nearby in the 'woods' - deer?
How's your composting going? Weren't you the one that wanted to make a compost bin out of some container? (forgot the name of it)
You have such gorgeous leaves for composting, I'm jealous! I have to collect them from my neighbor, she has a huge gorgeous tree in backyard (& I have to steal bags from other neighbors!) I'd like my own tree that turns colors! Wink

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
What a perfect fall day for a walk! TFS Love the color of the beauty bush berries. Willie is adorable - love the hounddog yodel.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Such pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing your neck of the woods with us. Particularly liked the photo of Willie at the fence line with the ground spotted in different colors of leaves.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks Y'all - we'll take another walk one of these days, and if Willie trees another turtle, I'll take a picture of it for Wavie.

Joy, Willie eats a pretty diverse diet...loves people food, cat food and yes, even dog food.

He loved all the attention y'all gave him...a good scratch and belly rub makes him happy. Wink

ve

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! What a lovely way for you & Willie to spend some time! Poor turtle!

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Nice walk, now I am tired, think I'll head to bed. Did Willie get to keep his turtle?

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4382 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
This post needed a bump also. Want to look at these vibrant fall colors a few more times.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vera and Willie for that pretty Fall walk.

Posts: 163 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I stepped out to take a walk today and only made it to the mailbox and the front porch. Took a peek at the Johnny jump ups. Wanted to go to the garden out back but the wind was brutal. I came right back in. I love looking at all your fall colors. Our leaves are falling fast and soon will be gone.

posted Hide Post
Give Willie a smooch from me. Leaves are finally falling here. I'll try and post some pics with fall color.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all.......Willie and I are still enjoying our walks when the weather is decent. He enjoys the woodland ones best because he is free of the leash & harness, however, the roadside offers some interesting smells too. I think he just enjoys the adventure of something outside the yarden.

We walked the woodland again yesterday...most of the color is gone, woods are looking winter barren.

Owie, I'm sorry that it was so brutally cold on you...are you beginning to feel better?

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
Such beautiful fall colors in such a beautiful setting at your place!

Willie is such a cutie! Sounds like he's quite the hunter and adventurer too. Glad y'all can share your walks and that you occasionally take the camera and share them with us too.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4365 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post