Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rocks Sign In/Join 
posted
here's what I did with them. I may not leave them but for now they are defining this bed.
What else would you plant in this HOT bed. It faces southwest so will get heat all day. No shade from anything. There is space for my mower to get through along the back. I've still got to get edging for back there.
I just keep on keeping on!!

Carlene

Posts: 1813 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
that looks good. could you take it all the way to the fence and make it a raised bed? just a suggestion. sorry i don't have any ideas about what to plant. i usually garden by seeing something i love and coming home to figure out where to put it. backwards, i know.

could you put a shot showing perspective of what's around it?

Posts: 3904 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly something drought tolerant if it's a "bake" area.

Posts: 950 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Personally I would eliminate all the grass and take the flower bed all the way to the fence.
Is that a crape myrtle in there right now? You could plant day lilies along the back, either in a straight line, or in an arch shape. I think I would choose all in the same color. Then you could fill in with other flowers in front of them, with a low growing flower in the very front. The area doesn't look real big so I think I would hold down the number of colors, and use the same color for the lilies, same color for the flowers in front of the lilies, and same color for the flowers in front. You could also use something like monkey grass instead of the lower growing flowers in the very front. Just some thoughts.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Roses do great in all day hot sun.

Posts: 5022 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roses, butterfly bushes, coneflowers.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a butterfly bush and a crape myrtle in there I couldn't wait to plant something!!! They can be moved if need be.
I will not be using roses. I had a rose garden with 30 roses for 25yr. so it's time for other plants! It's fun being at a different elevation where there is a longer growing season. I'll have fun if I ever get organized!!
Thanks for all your input.

Carlene

Posts: 1813 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I agree with SSTR - take the rock edging all the way to the fence. Put a trellis or two on the fence and plant some vines, mandavilla, morning glories, moon flowers, honeysuckle, lots of sun lovers to choose from here.

Looks good so far.

ve

Posts: 3729 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason I didn't take it to the fence is the guy couldn't get his tiller all the way back there you can see the fence is on an angle not straight. He was afraid of hitting the fence with his bucket on the front! Pretty big unit. It's very hard with a lot of rock too. He kept hitting rock!
Might have DS try to help me dig it up when he comes. Then I'd need some kind of edging by the fence to keep the grass from growing underneath it. Other side is weedy yard!!
What kind of edging would you put there?
I feel like a beginner!! Been so long since I've made a bed from scratch!! I won't give up tho!
I do have 3 more rocks but they are to big for me to handle by myself. So will wait for DS again!!Smile
Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene