Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  My Front Porch is....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Front Porch is.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
NEEEKKIIDDDDD! We are supposed to get down into the 40's tomorrow night! It has been raining, drizzling, spitting all day long but I managed to get all my porch plants into my little trailer between drops so I can haul them to the garden house tomorrow.
My porch looks....bare! Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4768 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about this time of year. Love fall coloring. Getting tired and need a break but don't want summer to end. Glad you have a place to overwinter your plants. We had a slight frost Monday morning. IT nipped a few plants.

Posts: 15311 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My back porch looked that way but it warmed up so put the plants back out. I moved the Boggie to the front (south) it is still blooming! Crazy weather! 49 at 5:30 am.

Carlene

Posts: 1568 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel. It's the same here.

Posts: 4886 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Mine has been N-e-k-k-i-d for a week already...we've already had two light frosts.....supposed to have the killer one this coming Thursday night.

Ditto what Owie said..mixed feelings about this time of the year.

ve

Posts: 3527 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
put some pumpkins there to dress your neked porch. they will last all winter if you leave them be.. as long as they aren't carved.

Posts: 3781 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Still have a pot of begonias on my front porch...Blooming yesterday! Need to go see how they made out last night!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12821 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I got all the plants into the garden house today. I repotted a bunch of them and divided some Christmas cactus & Easter cactus so I ended up with MORE plants.
The garden house is filling up but it won't be as bad as it has been in past years....couldn't hardly move in there in the past.
SB, my bog....??? is doing good, but no blooms this year. I may plant it in the ground next year...I'll see how it does.

Also got my layer of pine bark mulchy stuff down so I can build my compost bins tomorrow...if I can stand the cold! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4768 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Boy~~Have you been busy Karen! Lookie at these begonia today!!! Its so cold ...maybe snowflakes in the forecast tonight & they are still hanging in there! How big is that garden house? How cold is it there in SW Ga?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12821 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Look at that luscious begonia....snowflakes already in Ohio - Yikes!

Yesterday at the library I noticed that the pink begonias were just as pretty as yours, and they were interspersed among mums.....very pretty landscape entry bed.

ve

Posts: 3527 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty muddy! Will you bring it in?
Lots of begonias blooming here in town still.
I've never had luck with them. Maybe in a different place I'll have to try next yr.
Karen be sure to put your Boggie in a hot place next yr. I had mine on the south in Colo. and it was hot on the wooden deck and it bloomed it's face off. Glad it survived but I knew it would in your hands!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1568 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My garden house is 8'X8'. It was 42º this morning and we are forecast to get down into the 30's tomorrow early am. We get COLD, down into the teens some years...we just don't stay at those temps for long periods. If it drops into the teens at night, the day time temps will usually get into the upper 30's, 40's and some times even the 50's. Our ground doesn't freeze...and we have had snow flurries in the past also...they don't last either. Gotta take a pic QUICK or they are gone!
But I have (so far) been able to keep my garden house at at least 40º with 3 - 100 watt light bulbs..2 of them are in those reflector things and the other one is at the ceiling/roof. One year I did have to put a heat lamp bulb in one of the reflectors, but it only burned at night.

My begonias got too hot. I only have one left and it looks pathetic, but it's in the garden house now.

Muddy, you keep that snow up there!