Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  What are you growing from seed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you growing from seed? Sign In/Join 
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted
I usually do some herbs in pots and sprinkle alyssum seeds around my beds. Marigolds are super easy to grow. Just throw the seed heads you've saved from last year on the ground.

Are there any others that are really easy to grow from seed? What are you growing?

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Do you REALLY want my whole list?
I might have to go to my garden house with a pen & paper cause I'm not sure I can remember everything sitting here in the house.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL, I agree with Karen...although I don't have a garden house, I do have a pretty good sized carboard box full of seed packets. I have seeds from Bana's beautiful nastursiums, a plantable card full of seeds from Muddy, and a bunch of seeds from Karen. Some I planted last fall, some I saved "just in case". Then there's the purchased seeds. Our granddaughter is getting married here in August. She wants sunflowers planted everywhere, and old fashioned flowers like I always grow. So I have about 10 pkts of different sunflower seeds, moon flowers, morning glories.zinnias, asters, bachelor buttons and on and on. The nastursiums will be in containers...wish me luck that they turn out as beautiful as Bana's did last year.

She is getting married in front of our old barn...so I've got a lot of work ahead of me once the weather breaks. Hopefully we will have the prettiest barnyard in the county.

Fluff - I do the same thing with marigold seeds, and zinnia's too. I forgot about those saved seed heads...heck, I may run out of room...LOL

ve

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presently have 18 jugs on back porch of wintersowing seeds.....all perennials. Some are old seeds that I'm not sure will come up-but what the heck-will try anyway. Am thinking of doing more jugs today......maybe....Will do annuals later when the weather warms up. Still in the 20's this week...Though snow is gone off porch, flurries are predicted. Will it ever quit?

Posts: 950 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I made a list last night just from memory and probably missed some...there are 21 different things on my list...some are up & some aren't!

I also have some of those beautiful nasturtium seeds....those are what I potted up into the hanging baskets the other day and then planted more seeds for setting out in beds and along my veggies!
BTW VE, ornamental peppers are UP!...have been for a few days.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I'm mostly wondering about if there might be seeds I'm tossing out that I should save and use, like with the marigolds. A neighbor told me about that or I would have just thrown them away. Can you do that with pansies? I need easy!!! Last year I did a bunch of herbs but after I saw the potted ones on sale at Lowes, I thought I might just buy them this year.

Karen, I have not had good luck with nasturium seeds. Are they typically hard to germinate or am I doing something wrong? I LOVE the idea of putting them in a hanging basket. Now you've got me wanting to try again.

VE, I can see why she'd want to have her wedding at your house! That is exciting and I know we all can't wait for pictures!!

jmchab, I know! I've seen some trees in bloom around town--think they are star magnolias, and some daffs. It's got me ready for spring.

posted Hide Post
Nothing blooming here except my house plants but I did winter sow some things. Hyacinth bean vine Stockia from Karen, poppies(they are coming up!!!) and tomatoes (which will be started Sat.)from VE.
C---comb from my neighbor, I've forgotten them all. You folks saw the jugs I've started!
I cant wait to see what comes up!
VE I too can't wait to see pics of the wedding and your beautiful yard!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Bright Lights cosmos. Our summers have been known to go past 100 degrees. Bright Lights have been bred for hot dry areas. They don't need too much water or fertilizer. If you are in a hot weather area, give them a try.

P.S. They are about a foot and a half tall.
google.com a photo to see how pretty they are.

Posts: 5024 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Not "growing" anything yet. They're still seeds that haven't poked their heads up yet. Wink

Just yesterday, I planted three kinds of tomato seeds that I got as a gift. One is an heirloom, one is a cherry variety, and one came in a packet with Chinese writing. Should be interesting and fun, if any of them works out.
Also planted my hyssop seeds yesterday.

Not wanting to put all my eggs in the winter sowing basket (so to speak), I also planted some stokesia in a flat earlier this month. Neither of those stokesia experiments has done anything yet. But I understand their germination period might be long, so I'll try to be patient.

And I planted some blanket flower seeds at the same time as the stokesia.

I forgot to start some Italian parsley yet. Gotta get to that this week.

I don't usually try starting so many seeds in any given year. I generally don't bother with seeds unless I can't find or can't afford the mature plants I want at a nursery.

Posts: 4685 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Fluffy, my seeds were from Bana and all I've done was put them into a saved plastic 9 pack filled with potting soil...cover them about 1/2", water & wait. I put 3 seeds in each "pot" and ALL of them came up the first time....waiting on the second planting to appear now.

I seldom throw out seeds...I at least try and wait to see what happens.

ETA...Let me almost take back my last statement..
There was a gal on another board that mailed me a whole SLEW of seeds...BUT they were all 10 yrs. old or older...those I threw out!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Fluff - I always soak my nastursium, morning glory and mooonflower seeds overnight to help soften the hard crust. Since I don't plant pansies, can't answer you on that one. In a normal year, it gets too hot here to quickly for pansies to be worth the effort.

Karen, the peppers are up already? So far I have nothing up, not even those hardy columbine and larkspur seeds sown last fall. Weird...and the peppers won't sprout here until it is actually warm. Your garden house must be the key.

Joy, I forgot about the bright lights cosmos. I started planting them after you bragged on them so much on the old GT board. They reseed beautifully, so I will have those this summer too.

The stokesia seeds and the milkweed seeds that fell into my hands during a botantical garden tour last summer have not materialized at all. I put them in outside containers so I could monitor the results and not "weed" them out accidently. So far, I'm not going to have to worry about it. Maybe once it warms up I will see some growth.

Silly Bird, I hope you have good luck with the tomato seeds. They are generally pretty reliable.

Traditonally, I don't wintersow any annual flower seeds. We warm up pretty quickly and stay that way. However, with this never ending winter, I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't get a move on some of the seeds, esp. those with longer germination times. What to do, what to do.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Karen, the peppers are up already? So far I have nothing up, not even those hardy columbine and larkspur seeds sown last fall. Weird...and the peppers won't sprout here until it is actually warm. Your garden house must be the key.
ve

I saw some of the native columbines coming up volunteer out near where I had that one planted last year. I was afraid that they wouldn't reseed, that was why I saved seeds. But they are only about 1/2-1" tall at this point and we are warmer than you...so maybe in a couple of weeks??? IF you warm up!

I'll pot up some more larkspurs when I start pulling out the excess...and we can try again for live plants if your seeds don't germinate!
I've got BUCHES of volunteers!

posted Hide Post
I am going to try morning glories this year. I just read one of the above post about soaking them. Glad I saw that.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
ve

Yes, soaking really does help. Sometimes I soak a couple or three days.

I saw some of the native columbines coming up volunteer out near where I had that one planted last year. I was afraid that they wouldn't reseed, that was why I saved seeds. But they are only about 1/2-1" tall at this point and we are warmer than you...so maybe in a couple of weeks??? IF you warm up!

I'll pot up some more larkspurs when I start pulling out the excess...and we can try again for live plants if your seeds don't germinate!
I've got BUCHES of volunteers!

Posts: 5024 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I tried soaking but I just put them in the ground and didn't keep a close eye on them. I did keep them watered. I'll give it another shot and this time put them in some pots. Now the seeds I have left are several years old. Will that matter?

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoriginalfluffy:
I know I tried soaking but I just put them in the ground and didn't keep a close eye on them. I did keep them watered. I'll give it another shot and this time put them in some pots. Now the seeds I have left are several years old. Will that matter?

Maybe and maybe not. "Most" seeds are viable for at least 3 yrs. and many up to 5 yrs....after that, it's a cr ap shoot! Of course, a lot of folks call ALL of gardening a cr ap shoot! Big Grin