Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  VE made me do it..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VE made me do it.. Sign In/Join 
Picture of bana
posted
she's said, more than once, to post some of my pics. so here goes...
nasturtiums and green beans

Posts: 3809 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
sunflower silhouette..

Posts: 3809 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
favorite white oriental lily..

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
tomato crop.. 4 plants.. sunflowers want to grow here too so i leave a few in and the biggest one just bloomed.

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty!

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
love this bed for the textures. a happy accident because i have no overall plan.

front L sprengeri, front R mexican feather grass. behind is breath of heaven on left and row of blue fescue on right. then comes the japanese maple tree and i put this spring purchase of jasmine on the trellis at the end.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
Hippie Zebra tomatos..

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
last one.. Hotai thru my corn field. i laugh at that because i have only 6 plants just for the fun of it. tomatoes are to the right and apple tree is in the back, unseen because of the Bears Breeches behind it.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Looks like quite the fun going on over there! LOL
Lovely! Lovely!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12879 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bana your garden looks great. You need to post more often!!
Glad you listened to VE

Carlene

Posts: 1603 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG such large zebra heirloom tomatoes!!! Your pics are so neat! Just had a great tomato salad which had thinly sliced heirlooms and a light balsamic glaze. Oh it was so good. I can hardly wait until our roadside stands have them in! your flowers combos are lovely.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
no 16.. not large. that was a closeup. here they are in my hand.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Aren't her pictures lovely...such great rewards for a small backyard garden..only proves that a gardener can grow things anywhere. Now aren't you glad that I nagged her!!

Thanks Bana - I loved them all - esp. the sunflower.

ve

Posts: 3562 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bana, Love small garden pics. I have one, too. Amazing what one can fit in a small space. Love yours. Hope my bears breeches don't get as big as yours, I'll have to move!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tour!! Keep on posting pics!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7509 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Love seeing your pics. Everything looks like it is doing really well.
Those zebras will grow!
I planted a bear's britches this spring...it must be adjusting to it's new home cause it hasn't done anything. But it has LOTS of space.

VE, thanks for nagging! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words. i am enjoying my garden this year more than i ever have in the past. i'm liking it 'as is'.. warts and all.. and can look at it w/o feeling the need to jump up and move something somewhere else. that is unique for me.

here's one of the 'warts'.. weeds that are growing between the deck and the new fence. i have no idea what it is. the green looks kinda nice so i'm leaving them be until i can figure out what i want to plant there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
here's close up and you can see a tiny white flower.

posted Hide Post
Oh they looked so large--joke's on me! But they will grow and they will be delicious. Your yard looks lovely, very inviting.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What a great garden, bana.

Now, if we could only get VE to nag Miss Karen into learning how to post pictures!!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6575 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what everyone else has said. Gorgeous garden. I have never heard of Zebra tomato. Love that name: "Hippie Zebra" tomatoes.
I almost read it as Hippi Zippi tomatoes! Smile
What do they taste like?

Thank you so much for posting. Such inspiration!!

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
haven't tasted the hippie zebra tomato yet. i think i put the plants in the end of May and its taking
F O R E V E R to get ripe tomatoes.

does anyone recognize my weed? VE thought maybe nightshade or jimson weed. think i'd better pull them out after all. anything that grows that easily and never gets water must be something suspicious.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! I love that little guy in your garden over there. It looks like he's throwing a party Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4859 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
that's Hotai, wanda. i just had to get him.. he makes me laugh, or at least smile, to look at him. a bit of history.. he was a Chinese Buddhist monk.. not a Buddha as some people think.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Love all of your photos! You even planted corn?? DH was talking about planting some and I said you better enclose them in a fence because the squirrels and raccoons will surely get to them before we do.

I think I have that "weed" in the last photo too. I have no idea what it is. After the small flower dies does it form a small fruit?

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7411 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd think it was something in the nightshade family because it looks so much like an eggplant, or potatoes.

Posts: 6575 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
FFG.. think you are right about it being nightshade. i am going to pull it before it reseeds itself. anything that grows that easy can't be a good thing.

z9lady.. the raccoons better NOT eat my corn! or squirrels either!! i wanted corn when i first planned this years veggies.. at least a dozen plants. i have grown it before and it is wonderful to eat raw right in the garden when it becomes ready to pick. but tomatoes and beans took too much space so i gave up the corn idea. then, after garden veggies were all in, i was at a Farmers Market in Santa Cruz and they were selling organic corn plants. i just couldn't resist and bought 6. had to give up my rock garden to make space but left the alyssum in place. i know its a risk with the critters around but worth the chance.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Bana! Looks like you are maximizing your gardening space. I especially love your 'happy accident' of mixed greens.

I never got around to planting nasturtiums this year. Interesting idea to plant with green beans.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Well, Bana, I'm happy you listened to Vera. Your garden is charming & enjoyed the closeups too.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other gals...something in the nightshade family! Reminds me of the nettles we get here...same type of bloom and they are night shades.
Something you might watch for if they are like ours....the roots run and more will pop up later down the root. So keep and eye out for them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4823 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
here's my green bean harvest on a 16" diameter tray. between seeds that wouldn't start.. slugs eating many of the few that did sprout.. then losing replacement plants from the nursery that the slugs also liked.. I'm surprised i have any beans at all. i'm going to make 3 bean salad then blanch and freeze the rest.

next year, flowers! i'm serious.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Bana, that's your total harvest? That's pitiful. I'm so sorry. They do look yummy!

Noticed that 3 more of the tomato plants have died. We just had another 2 inches of rain overnight. I think it's root rot from too much rain. Thankfully the cukes are doing well...I just made 3 quarts and 2 pints of dill pickles.

ve

Posts: 3562 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
yes, VE, pitiful. i gave a few away, and there might have been some that i missed.. but not many. yep.. this is pretty much it. far cry from my crop back in 2004. [see photo of my friend with vines taller than her.] i was so excited to find the same seeds again this year but very few sprouted and slugs got to most of the plants that did make it. i started with a 10' long bed and wound up with maybe 3' of plants.. and that included nasturtiums on the trellis too. oh well. i tried. next year = flowers.

bummer about your tomatoes. guess this is not a good veggie crop year.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Bana, to deter the slugs...save your egg shells. Rinse them out, let them dry then crush them and sprinkle the crushed shells around each of your plants or on both sides of your rows. They won't cross those cause they cut them.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks karen. i'll file that away for next time i put in plants. i think the key is to put the shells in/around the edges of a bed before planting. my problem was i did it after the damage was done. by then, i just trapped them inside the shell rows.

posted Hide Post
Enjoying all these!

Posts: 3154 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it looks like nettles to me too. if you do take them out be sure to wear gloves, as they will sting your hands, just like taking out a thistle. don't even try to take them out barehanded.

cheryl hill

Posts: 375 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
TA DA... CORN!

those spindly corn stalks, no bigger around than my thumb, are putting out ears. doing the happy dance here. ok, so i'm sitting down, but i'm doing it in my mind.

ps.. according to the web.. this corn is supposed to be normal size. i'm wondering tho how that can be on such spindly stalks.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
and here's my happy faces..

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Baby corn how cute! I'll bet they are going to taste wonderful! Love the happy faces!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7411 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to the farmers' market this morning but missed the last corn by minutes!!! It'll be interesting to see how these develop.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
latest corn picture. the variety is called Kandy Korn. [this was VE's favorite of my latest garden pics to her.] check out the little thumbnail pics in this website. interesting how it puts out anchor roots.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49824/#b

btw, you can see the prostrate spurge on the bricks in this pic. they have been pulled out.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
one VE hasn't seen. umbrella is protecting hummingbird feeder from the hot mid-day sun.

Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures!!!

Posts: 4900 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bana...I just think the little redheaded baby corns are adorable. Did anyone ever play with baby corn as dolls when they were little. I did. These babies have pretty red hair.

Love the hummer umbrella Bana...neat idea. I bet the little fella appreciates it.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Thanks Bana...I just think the little redheaded baby corns are adorable. Did anyone ever play with baby corn as dolls when they were little. I did. These babies have pretty red hair.

Love the hummer umbrella Bana...neat idea. I bet the little fella appreciates it.

ve

Not baby corn, but I had corn shuck dolls...and I've slept on a corn shuck filled mattress too! It pokes you!