Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  About pollinators
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About pollinators Sign In/Join 
posted
An article in the current issue of Fine Gardening magazine is about improving pollination of vegetables by growing flowers with of near them. The flowers provide a food source for those pollinators that the vegetables may not always do. So, in addition to providing a food source for predator insects flowers will also do that for pollinators.

Growing flowers in amongst food crops, kitchen gardens not field crops, used to be very common.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8183 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I agree. If you will look at the colonial gardens, they always mixed veggies and flowers. Somewhere along the line we got away from the "old ways". I still plant sunflowers, zinnias, cleome, & marigolds in my veggie garden.

Also understand that not everyone is blessed with a large space to do both. However, a small border of annuals around the veggie patch could do wonders.

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always planted marigolds around my tomatoes....then for some reason stopped. Do agree with original premise, it does help.

Posts: 918 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I usually have a few zinnias near my veggies. This year there will be more and more varieties!

Even if someone has only a small space, they should be able to tuck a flower or two in corners or at an edge. And it sure purtties up the garden! Big Grin

VE, my grandma always did like you do! I remember having zinnias in a vase on the kitchen table nearly all summer long too!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For best results plant a wide variety of flowers, not just on or two species. Perhaps this article about Insectaries may be of some interest.
http://www.finegardening.com/h...eficial-insects.aspx

I have been told by some that you cannot grow flowers and vegetables together because they have different needs, something which is total nonsense.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8183 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post