Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red shrubs Sign In/Join 
posted
I am searching for a good reddish color shrubs that get no more then 4-5' tall and wide. These will be foundation plants between the house and my 'Golden mop' false cypress. I'm in Zone 7a and this gets part sun (about 5 hours)

My first thought was barberry but I would rather stay away from the stickers b/c the leaves are way too hard to get out.

My next thought is a red colored Encore Azalea.

I'm looking for more suggestions.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
How about dwarf loropetalum? There are some nandina varieties that might have some of the color you are looking for in the winter.

Posts: 1098 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
How about Burning Bush? I had 4 of them at my old house and they were beautiful in the Fall. They can be trimmed back so they stay at 4-5 ft. tall and wide.

Posts: 163 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I like burning bushes. There are drarf burning bushes also.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have the dwarf kind in another area of my yard but they are huge. I struggle to keep them at 5'. I want something slow growing so that I don't have to constantly prune them.

I checked the Lorapetulum at the nursery and I wasn't sure how hardy they are because it said zones 7-10. I'm in Zone 7, which means they can be iffy.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Go check out Firepower nandinas. Non-berry producing dwarfs and the more sunlight they receive, the more red the leaves become. They are hardy in your zone because I have them and they thrive. Takes them awhile to get established and start growing unless you buy mature ones. I started with little quart pots...and they don't get over 3 ft tall/wide.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firepower nandinas was also a small shrub I was thinking of, but could not remember its name! I have them at our place in Kansas and really like them as well.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firepower's are really small and for me, only get about 18-24" tall. I have some in my yard and I love them, but they really small for a foundation shrub. There are other varieties of Nandinas that would work, like 'Gulstream' and 'Plum Passion', among others.

Would you recommend going with Nandinas instead of Encore Azaleas?

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about azaleas except they are beautiful when in bloom. My regular nandinas get leggy as they mature, but I do love them. I was also thinking about a red twig dogwood....bushy all the way down and easily pruned to maintain shape and height...an added bonus is the red color of the limbs in winter.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "Encore" Azaleas, but the regular ones can stay pretty small. The smaller the leaf on the plant, the smaller the entire plant will be. Some are really MINI now.

As for the Lorapetulum I have 2 of those along my front porch..on either side of the steps. They need pruning several times a year or it can get up to 10' tall or over down here..zone 8b. And it doesn't stay reddish...the leaves turn green after it has bloomed...unless there is a different variety than what I have.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
This is one of my "Firepower" Dwarf Nandinas in the Fall. It's about 5 years old now and still in this pot, not much bigger than you see here,
it turns a vivid bright red in winter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen burgandy colored shrubs that I first thought were barberry, but they do not have thorns. And they would grow to the size you're seeking. Sorry, don't know their name. Have you checked at nurseries in your area?

posted Hide Post
SSTR - No, I've looked a little bit. Thanks.

I'm definately looking for something that will get bigger then the Firepowers but not something that will need pruning several times a year. I don't even want to have to prune it once a year if I don't have to.

Vera - Some varieties of azaleas get very big (we had them over 6' growing up). On average the sizes say 3-5' for the ones I'm looking at.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
lorpedulums There are 4 different varieties...Purple pixies only get 2.5 high but have a nice spread of 4ft. great color! Not red, but rich purple/burgundy

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
How about a wine and roses weigela? I know it is more of a purple color, but may work for you.

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea Shook.