Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  PeeGee limelite hydrangea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PeeGee limelite hydrangea Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
I have two of these and this is the first year that they have not bloomed for me. All my other hydrangeas are blooming ok. One is kind of in too much shade but the other is in direct sun. I have not pruned them except to cut the old flowers off. I went to the hydrangea site but they don't answer why they won't bloom. Anyone have any idea?

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Could never keep one alive Hammer but found this>
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/wont_bloom.html

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12951 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
But that is a mophead Muddy and it is a whole different kind of thing. Mine is a paniculata and is supposed to be very hardy. I have a lacecap right beside my pee gee and it blooming like crazy.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My Limelight is not yet blooming, but our weather is pretty unusual this summer. Cold spring, cooler than normal June, and wetter, too. It's my thought that weather conditions are to blame for the delay. Also, as I recall from years past, this variety always blooms later than the mopheads anyway.

I assume Iowa's weather is unusual as well? We'll have to be patient together. Wink

This pic is mine from July of 2011:

Posts: 4523 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Very jazzy!!!

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I remember that it was later than a mophead but I didn't think this much later. I will have to be patient I guess. I am moving by Aug 15 so hope it shows some blooms before then. Here is mine a from a couple years ago.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I just took a closer look to see what's happening with my Limelight. Here's what I see ~ Teeny little buds. Bet yours has some, too, HH.

Posts: 4523 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Never had a pee gee. Bet they are pretty when they bloom. I have 3 mopheads and they are loaded with blooms. The rain has kind of made them lay over a lot more than usual.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Might suggest "why" but you can use this rule as a standard:
whenever a plant that should bloom....doesn't...
STOP ALL FEEDING OF FERTILIZER...until it does bloom...then be governed by how it performs.

The usual reason is the soil is old, tired, not able to support bloom...which is the main energy output of a plant.
Too much fertilizer of the wrong kind. If the plant is near, say....a lawn...and the lawn is fed regularly with the usual high nitrogen fertilizer. High amounts of nitrogen causes the plant to say..."keep it coming...I love it, see me create more and more foliage.
But don't expect me to produce bloom."

Usually you tell if this might be true by looking at the color of the leaves...bright green with lots more new foliage coming.

Too much water causing the roots to stop sending energy up the stems. Sometimes the lower leaves tell you something is wrong--they're the first ones to notice.

Other than doing a root prune, if you have been trying to feed the plant into submission, stop...and wait for flowers to appear then be governed by how much they bloom.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
For once Loonie is onto the answer! If the soil is too high in nitrogen a flowering plant won't bloom, it will only produce foliage. It's necessary to provide a balance of nutrients and the second number on a chemical fertilizer is phosphorus which is necessary for flowering.

I've never been happy with my Limelight Hydrangea but it's my own fault as the first year I got it I applied well rotted old manure to that bed in the fall. I know that was too high in nitrogen as the Lady's Mantle in the same bed grew huge leaves the next year and the Limelight barely produced any flowers. Waiting this year to see what it does and I might have to eventually give it some phosphorus if I expect it to bloom well.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
It might be an answer, but it isn't "the" answer in my case. As you can see, my plant has buds. They will open, just need more time. Waiting to hear whether Hammerhugger's plant has buds.

FWIW, my crape myrtles are very late to bloom this year, too. They have buds, but have not popped as they would normally by July 4.

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Nettie, deep down in there I think there may be a bud forming. It is not as advanced as yours but will keep a look out for it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Loonie, I have never fertilized the hydrangea or my lawn so you are wrong about that. I knew that about too much nitrogen anyway.....you notice I have been a member since 2002 so it has been discussed many times on here.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Lussah
posted Hide Post
My mopheads and lacecaps usually bloom in early May- a bit later this year due to cool spring. My first limelight I planted where it got as much sun as possible in my very shady yard. It couldn't stand even that little bit of sun, but it did bloom that July. Since it struggled so, I moved it to a shadier spot and it hasn't bloomed the past 2 years nor does it have buds on it. Guess I'll be moving it again later this year. My second one I planted last year where it gets little direct sun, but does get filtered sun pretty much all day. It didn't bloom last year, but has many buds on it now. I should have blooms sometime in the future! (I wear it out searching for buds!) My lacecaps are more than done for the season and mopheads still look pretty good. I do love them when they finally bloom. A real treat for summer.

Posts: 161 | Location: Southeast SC | Registered: Aug 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I don't have limelight, but my hydrangeas are just starting to bloom...;many tiny buds yet, nowhere near having a good show yet. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7827 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll take the bow for the "once"....but Hammer...You NEVER fertilize your lawn!.
Aside from anything else....that admittance should be changed.....
lawns are no different than any other plant...there's just more of them and they need to be fed.
Yes, the comment about high nitrogen has been said....and re-said....and ditto, and ditto...but it never hurts to keep it in mind.

I will repeat my suggestion though....IF A PLANT DOESN'T BLOOM WHEN ITS EXPECTED TO BLOOM....stop all feeding ...all...until it does bloom.

When it doesn't a root prune can be tried.
I swear...a plant has a brain...
When a plant is put under duress...as in cutting its roots....it will feel threatened...and produce seeds to further the
production of babies to carry on the plant.
And seeds come from flowers.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Nope Loonie...........I never have fertilized my lawn.........looks good too!

--Mel Weldon

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
:>)

Picture of Jm
posted Hide Post
Hammer, I'm in NJ, zone 7a and have many limelights that I fertilize once a month until August and they always bloom mid/late-July. I hope yours are just a little late this year. Post pics when they do please!!
Jm

Posts: 859 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Hammerhugger,
Here's what my Limelight looks like today. It's finally getting there! How's yours?

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay, it finally is blooming.....not real mature blooms yet, but it is there!

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Hammer, do you have your garden this year? How is your baptistia doing? You have such good dirt where you live. I'm so jealous.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jm
posted Hide Post
Hammer,
I came back to share a pic of my limelight hedge this week. The tallest one is about 6 years old and the others either layered or rooted 3 years ago, overwintered and planted in the spring of 2012. There is a total of 7 shrubs. I hope to have them all the same height next year with some careful pruning on the large one to keep it in check.

Posts: 859 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post