Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Springs pics from my yard....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springs pics from my yard.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted
Doublefile Viburnum

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doublefile with ajuga in bloom

posted Hide Post
Island bed

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Pretty! I like the stuff in that second pic! Nice!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Love your yard and your shed.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Conway, S.C. HORRY | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I've never been a fan of viburnums but DH loves them. He had a native one & the flowers smelled like dirty socks! I made him put it in the woods.

It is beautiful! That second pic could be in a magazine.

Love the way your island bed kind of "drifts" in front of your shed!

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I love them all........and ditto on the second picture. I really like the island bed too with the dogwood. Looks like spring has sprung at your place.

ve

Posts: 3174 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Ahh! Beautiful Fluff!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. The viburnum only took five years to decide to really bloom but now I'm glad I let him stay.

posted Hide Post
So very pretty. TFS.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Ditto all that above. Purty!!!!

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Beautiful yard and garden bed.I am glad I am looking at 2 page threads.Found this Smile

I am hooked on the Doublefile Viburnum and Spirea everyone has told me about.Going to town tomorrow to try to find 5 of either one.Smile

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh so pretty!!!

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone. The middle bed is filling in now and there are some irises blooming. More pics to come.

Jackierenette, If you get the doublefile, you might have to be really patient. I love it now but it took about four or five seasons to really bloom. The first several years, there were no blooms. Then another year, it got just a few. Now it really is in it's glory but it took soooo long.

Now if you get spirea, it should bloom the first year and they are so hearty. I even dug one up because I was rearranging things, left it just sitting there, and it grew roots into the ground and bloomed this spring.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
So you'd go for more Spirea,than the Viburnum then?I know to keep plants wet until established.I read up on them this evening,and saw they like moist soil.How is yours growing?

Remember I get full sun and clay,well drained soil.Would you go for these?

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the spirea because you'll get blooms the first season. The viburnum gets to be about 12 ft tall too, so it might be too big. I also have clay. My viburnum gets late afternoon sun for a few hours a day. The spirea, I have two, and have moved them both several times to different spots and they seem to be happy anywhere. Weigela might be nice too if you want pink flowers.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Thank you so very much.Now to got to the nurserys tomorrow.And our local jockey lot - flea market to see what might be there.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks for taking us along on the walk around your garden. love the island bed against the green lawn back drop. very pretty. and nice shed too.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I just cut back my spirea today. My biggest one. I cut off between 1/2 -2/3s of it. It was about 6' tall and 8' wide and hanging so that it blocked my view of some of my other beds and was in the way of mowing. Got 2 more big ones to cut back tomorrow...so give them plenty of room! And mine only get water when it rains and they do fine whether we have rain or drought. But they do get aphids every year on new growth. I just squirt them with the hose several times to get rid of them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why thank you, Bana. I really appreciate the positive feedback from all of my fellow gardeners!

posted Hide Post
Love the pictures - your gardens are looking pretty darn good this early. I have a Korean Spice Vibernum and it smells heavenly! I thought they all must smell that good. I guess not though.

Posts: 29 | Location: N IL | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KOW, Thanks so much! I thought spring would never come but I know it's even later in other parts. No smell that I have noticed on mine, good or bad.